Reedspeed variable CDI

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Guys done a search and found a long thread on the above from back in 2012 13 but nothing recent. Any info on these, I have the Agusto and M tech on mine but a mate who I fitted the M Tech for wants to do another scooter with one of the Reedspeed ones. I think he likes the idea of one unit less wires.
The graphs on the web site look a bit odd with all the retard very early doors or am I reading it wrong, pros and cons as said mate says if i think they are Ok he will get one...the previous thread had mixed reviews from what
I could see.
vegansydney

Monty wrote: ...think he likes the idea of one unit less wires.
What about a Kheper variable CDI? Had one fitted for a few months and I can't fault it.
Monty

To be honest I would stick with the M Tech He has had it for 6 months on his wifes bike and it does what it should but its his money. No one seems to have used the reedspeed ones. All the old posts seemed to be talking about the curves changing on every batch so it seems it was still under development in 2012/13. is it now sorted
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Go on the Readspeed website and have a peek at some of his new ignition gadgets......spoke to Jerome the other day, he's got some really interesting gadgets out now. Worth checking!
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Monty

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shop ... 6126-p.asp#
OK said mate has purchased the unit and Im the one trying to fit it. The link has a very feint image of the instructions that shows the various settings available.
Reading this it looks like you can use setting 0 to give NO advance retard and aim for your chosen firing point so we assume 16 degrees. Then you select setting 1 2 or 3 for your desired low revs timing.
What I cannot understand though the graph does show this is that at a slow tickover it is close to 15 degrees then as the revs increase it jumps to 20 odd then as they increase further to 2500 they jump back to 15.
My logic says that at starting, kicking it up you want to be at 20 od to help it start not 15. I dont understand why the first 0-1000 is at 15 then 1000 - 2500 its 20od then after 2500 it goes to 15. I understand the latter part but can not get my head around the 0 to 1000. This seems to be what is happening on the bike. I need to go back to basics and check said mates TDC cos Im struggling to move the stator round far enough without major butchery to the stator slots.
Yes understand the first call should be the supplier but he's shut today and I didn't buy it.
One small point Its quite a bit bigger than a normal CDI with a single bolt hole very low and would not fit the standard bracket
any one else running one of these?
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Nope for all the reasons above, which is why i have the mtech and am more than happy with it :-)
Donnie.
eden
Dealer

kheper is spot on. ive tried the new reedspeed and ive also tried the mtech in the last two months.

Kheper for me, in fact im going to get another one for the engine i'm currently building.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Had a look at the kheper thingy and only see it talking about vespas not lamby's. on saying that I doubt there's a difference.

My biggest problem with the kheper would be that it's probably overkill for the majority of engines but moreso from a practical parts availaibilty point of view and why I didn't replace my varitronic system.

The khepers a cdi and advance retard all in one, the mtech isn't so if the mtech goes poof my Cdi is still ok. Just my opinion
Donnie.
Monty

Its not my money but again the M Tech is the way I would have gone. It has three curves that are like falling off a cliff all or nothing. The ) setting is good that you can if having problems go back to your chosen static point. The 3 settings going the other way I don't understand.
At the end of the day all we want is a poor mans Varitronic. Im sold on the benefits of advance and retard but also want full DC so Im limited
One reason the guy bought it was to rule out an extra unit and was hoping for a straits swap for his CDI. It was a pain in the bum making another plate to bolt the ruddy thing on to his scooter loopy john type of CDI regulator bracket.
coaster

I've only tried the Augusto which has single fixed retard but I understand the theory behind the Readspeed unit is to have a retarded setting to make kicking over easier (less kick back) but then rapidly advances to aid low speed running before retarding again as the revs rise to keep the piston cool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information