Screeching Vespa Clutch

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

P200 engine, that I have re-built with a standard Indian clutch. Soaked the plates before building the clutch and de-burred the rough edges. Then 6 months later stuck the engine into my rally. However, on letting out the clutch, it screeches, but pulls away OK, with no judder. And, although I had a full face helmet on, it did sound like a faint screech when riding for a 2 mile test run.

Have I missed something in the clutch re-build, or could the corks have dried out.

Thanks
paulnobodyimportant

Anyone
oldbiker

the only thing i`d check is whether the clutch is rubbing on the clutch cover
paulnobodyimportant

Thanks. Just to be sure, I'm going to take out the new clutch this weekend to see if the clutch is the cause. Either rubbing as you suggest, corks dry or retaining clip has sprung out. Its that dam castle nut that I hate undoing, always end up with raw knuckles as the tool slips off and my fist heads into the inner chassis of the Vespa with a velocity.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

I've replaced the Castle Nut on both my Vespas for that very reason:

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_11351940

or

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_87261000
paulnobodyimportant

Thanks for that Paul. I did wonder if they would be suitable and you've just confirmed it for me.

Thanks
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Some of the MY PX have a nut like that from the factory and the crank has no key way for the castellated nut locking washer.

I fit it with nordlocks on mine.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
paulnobodyimportant

Sorted now.
Took the clutch out Friday and cork plates were quite dry. Although they had been soaked gear oil previously, they have sat in the engine, on the garage floor for the past 9 months. So again soaked them for 24 hours and clutch works perfectly.

Must admit to having a scary moment getting the woodruff key in place and then the clutch to locate with all the warnings that if it dropped out and fell into the gear box that it would be a complete strip down. But despite fumbling fingers, got past that trauma.

Bolted clutch back onto shaft with K Nut, which I'm a big fan of these nuts, as is Rosscla.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information