DR 180 Kit. Exhaust Dilema

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Philbutt
Main scooter: Vespa PX125

Well i've had a DR 180 kit on for past year with 102 jet and Simoni exhaust on my Px 125 (01 plate). Has given a good increase in performance and no running in problems. Liking the extra power for pulling away and top end is respectable/acceptable. It's been a pleasure to ride until last Wednesday when the exhaust bracket failed on the swingarm and the whole thing dropped off, I rode over the top of it ripping the tyre apart and nearly killing me in the process. Not an experience I want to repeat.

Need some recommendations as to a decent replacement exhaust that will suit the DR kit. I've had no issues with the jetting or performance and would like to keep it as it is now. Wouldn't touch a Simonini will a barge pole now. So what I want is an exhaust I can just bolt on and forget about without having to mess with jetting etc.

Are Situ Plus or Sip Road 2 straight forward bolt on exhausts.

Readspeed are advertising a performance exhaust on their website, anyone got any experience with these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-PX-125- ... 51c2a26c42
ducksta

I run a saxon exhaust with my dr kit looks great gives good performance and decent price only sold on ebay punch in ßaxon exhausts
live life your a long time dead
ducksta

Saxon exhaust last post typo
live life your a long time dead
santacama

New Big Box Sport
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

If you like the right hand exhaust what about this one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190638992209? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I must add that most folk are going down the BGM or SIP 2 exhaust these days.
goldeneye

SIP Road 2 or sito plus. have you up geared it? ive found a 22 tooth clutch cog works best with the DR 177 kit. great budget kits when set up correctly.
Philbutt

Bought the Sip Road 2 today and fitted it with no problem. Took a few kicks to get it started but when she did what a difference the Sip makes, minor adjustment to tickover but appart from that off I trundled and well impressed. Smooth acceleration through all the gears plenty of power not too bothered about top end as the gears restrict top speed. Coming down the gears was a dream none of that hesitation and spluttering from the Simonini. Well worth the £100. Wish I'd gone for the Sip in the first place.

What affect does a 22 tooth clutch make I'm confused in that one. But if it helps i'm up for that. Doesn't seem too difficult to change the clutch with the right tools.

And best of all is the noise reduction compared to the Simonini, jeeeeeez it was doing my head in bbut this one sounds like a Vespa should do only a bit louder. Over all I give it the big two thumbs up.

Just need a new spare tyre now. Big hole in the last one, a really big hole.

Anyone know where the top spring is supposed to clip on to? I've sorted the bottom one on to the cowling screw but can't fathom out the top one.
goldeneye

the 22 tooth clutch gear will upgear your box (an easy conversion) just buy the cog, not the whole clutch. it will make it less revvy at top end and should give you a couple more MPH. the two springs are more for alloy barrels where if you tighten the exhaust stub too much, it will crush the alloy barrel stub. the DR is cast iron, so as long as its on tight , you should be ok. you can drill a hole in the cylinder head fin to take the second spring, but I wouldn't bother. I used a DR177 for a good few years on a work scooter, 22 tooth cog, 20mm carb, sito plus exhaust and ran the cheapest oil I could find! never let me down. its still running on a LML I put it on.
Philbutt

Must admit very impressed with the DR kit, easy bolt on and quick upjetting has worked fine for me too. Now with the SIP its even better. I had the thrash my Vespa with the Simonini on but now its not necessary. I'll have a look for this 22 tooth clutch cog then and see what I can do with it.

Thanks for the replies folks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information