Help needed...I just can't decide!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lambrettatastic

Wanting to get a new top end on my dl200. At the moment it's running 225 standard barrell with a bored out 22mm to 26 mm dellorto ,li 150 gearbox ...goes..er ,went very well,great acceleration and sits in 4th nicely at a good speed. It's been going since 1996 but has recently eaten itself....so some help please.
I have a new 30mm dellorto carb and an mb big box ready to go,just can't decide on what kit to go for.
I've narrowed it down to an rt225,grand tourismo 200 or the avanti ...

So can you help by outlining the strengths and characterises of these kits please,I know we all want different things from our scooters ,but if I knew what each one is like to live with then it might make me decide...I hope!
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Can't comment on the Rt or Gt as i've never fitted or ridden one. Saying that they both come from reputable builders and should do what it says on the box. As for the Avanti...i can only sing it's praises. I fitted mine over 2 years ago and have had no major issues, i've clocked up 5k miles and it's still fun to ride. I've just helped fit 2 more Avanti's and both riders are impressed with the results. I would say my Avanti is more suited to motorway driving, 4:6 final drive, running a Franspeed Tourer and a 30mm PHBH. It easily cruises at 60mph + and that's genuine GPS miles. I've hit 76mph and i think there was still a bit more left. I got it Dynoed at the end of last year knowing i had a blowing exhaust and a sticking choke and had been untouched for the 5k miles. It did 19+ BHP on Scooteroticas' dyno. On my way to Scooterotica i held it on the motorway at 70mph + for over 10 miles and it didn't miss a beat. The barrel is untouched and only the casings matched......no other work/porting/tuning done.....probably as close to a "plug and play" as you can get.

With the Avanti you will get any advice you need from Ron Moss who will only be too happy to advise you.
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

Lol in the same situation. Changed my mind at least59 times over the last week. Today's favourite is the gt 200 kit. Need someone with experience of riding it to put their opinions forward. Graeme
Lambrettatastic

Mick1 many thanks, it's real life info like this that I'm after.I had pretty much decided on the gr it, don't know why, but there is not much info from people who have them, which made me ask... Now all I hear is good things about the avanti... I think the gt kit having a reed valve was swaying it, but never having ridden a reed valve motor I'm unsure of the benefits?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I'm not 100% on the benefits of a reed valve. I'm led to believe that it pulls better lower down and offers more MPG at the sacrifice of some top end speed (i may be corrected on these points :) . My opinion (for what it's worth) is that it's just another thing to set up correctly and go wrong. On the other hand quite a lot of people run them. I do see a lot of questions about reed valves (air leaks, fitment issues, broken/damaged petals) and i wonder how much benefit they really give.........this thread may now go off on a reed valve tangent....sorry !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information