Piston to bore clearance

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

By the sound of that "slap" sound.
Similar to the sound I had on a fresh rebore I had a few years ago. I had 3 thou clearance...each f@@king side of the piston!
TS1-200

Adam_Winstone wrote:This thread was never about what clearance you would start with on a rebore, rather, it was about how big is too big on a used bore.

TS1-200, how are you getting on?

Adam
Put it all back together Adam, runs fine, little bit noisy at low tick over speed, but runs fine. Will look to doing a proper rebuild next winter.
Last edited by TS1-200 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on keepin on
TS1-200

Double post
Keep on keepin on
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

TS1-200 wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote:This thread was never about what clearance you would start with on a rebore, rather, it was about how big is too big on a used bore.

TS1-200, how are you getting on?

Adam
Put it all back together Adam, runs fine, little bit noisy at low tick over speed, but runs fine. Will look to doing a proper rebuild next winter.
Cool :)
hatch
Main scooter: Li 150 Special

soosh wrote:
hatch wrote:Af Rayspeed Mahle pistons are the best ive found / always use now, standard type and there beefed up to stop cracking on the skirts , with 200 careful miles running in on flat roads you can do these at 2-2.5 thou , with fully syn at 2% , never had any problems
Ditto. Some people laugh when you tell them that but i was told they are the best "standard type" on the market by the guy who did mine.Cheap as well,cant see why you would spend more unless you had something very revvy or had massive exhaust port.

Yes there great , best you can buy and why people use more than 2% in standard bikes ill never know
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

soosh wrote:By the sound of that "slap" sound.
Similar to the sound I had on a fresh rebore I had a few years ago. I had 3 thou clearance...each f@@king side of the piston!

Out of currisioty, how are you measuring your piston to bore clearence?
hatch
Main scooter: Li 150 Special

bristolmod wrote:ditto- always used Mahle and worked down from 3 1/2 thou to 2 1/2 thou clearance now, with no issues whatsoever. Mix at 3% semi. Loads of short, reasonably hard cycles on rebores and well run in by 300 miles.

Chris

Hello Chris , on the mahle piston they can stand the tighter clearance so you dont get slap , 4 thou on these pistons there clapped out , try going a bit tighter 2/2.5 thou

craig
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

mahle borgo hepolite same same
C’est la vie
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Grumpy225 wrote:
soosh wrote:By the sound of that "slap" sound.

Out of currisioty, how are you measuring your piston to bore clearence?
This was done years ago by Malc Anderson at MSC,he just had some feelers down each side of the piston to show that what a perfect job the other company did.He wasnt being exact,just showing it was shite and needed doing again and they did it while i waited and was perfect.Obviously if being exact,i would use some verniers.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... not like your next ride was going to be a biggie though :shock: (Milan 97)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information