tm24 set up

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
mickdale

got a mikuni tm24 with camalam filter (very large so think good airflow) on sil gp 200 barrel with indian big bore exhaust

17.5 pilot
185 main
5nj13 needle, 2nd clip from top

worried about mixture as not the most skilled with carbs

when riding feels good but when dropping throttle and sort of coasting - seems to run on for a couple of seconds then drops a touch more to low tickover - not very settled on tickover on the stand but when playing with idler screw i think it revs higher as i lean off screw???????? - could the slight time lapse on going to low tickover be the heavy flywheel?

could the large flow filter need a 20 pilot?
is it woth putting a 190 in to be safe
(think i need a dyno to be sure)

any advice greatly appreciated
cheers
mick
cezeta

mick, i tested the tm24 with this filter and the hose you are using and the hose killed it dead.

you can use the screw on plastic bell mouth from a 25 mm delly with the inside threads filed out to make a perfect adapter for the rubber that should come with the filter you are using and the flow is pretty much the same as an open breathing carb.

i used a 20 pilot, 198 (i think) main and the same needle on a mugello 225 with a b race pipe just to give a similar is comparison.

i would change the rubber and get the best of it if i was you.
mickdale

thanks
will try the 20 pilot and get a 190 main to try
i am running the carb under the panels (not shown on photo ) so need the bellows
cheers
mick
cezeta

yes me too on my jet 200. the rubber im refering to is for the tmx35 or 25mm delly with the screw on plastic bell mouth

mickdale

i think i see what you mean - the foam filter needs to be attached to the tino style alternative to the gp bellows to aid airflow?

i only bought the filter, not the bellows from camlam

i didnt know you can get the tino style connection on its own
Honeymonster

Agree with cezeta about the air flow with this type of filter, had to upjet mine after fitting one and new barrel kit, using the S/C version with 45mm opening and the filter is oiled. Just about finished setting the jetting on my TM 24 on an RT 220 with PM 25 Ev, currently running 15 pilot, air screw 1.5 turns out, just trying a Q-2 atomiser as the Q-0 was reading hot at maintained speeds at quarter throttle, 5N13 needle - 3rd clip, 190 main but subject to sustained high speed runs to fine tune. Usually starts second kick and pulls well, good luck. Ian
mickdale

thanks for the info honeymonster
i take it the Q0 atomiser is standard - sounds worrying if its lean at 1/4 throttle?

(maybe should have kept the jetex on)
Honeymonster

Just been for a not so gentle 30 miles this morning, the Q-2 made no noticeable difference so back with the Q-0 and raise the needle another notch, plus heat gain during a full throttle run shows the main needs to go to 195, lost all lighting and horn too, but that's a different matter. Good fun but the scoot vibrates like fury, hoping to have the lightened flywheel checked for balance this week in an effort to reduce that.
Honeymonster

Sorry, yes the Q-0 is the standard fittment on most TM 24's
lozmondo

SR 185, fettled. Tino clubman. I was running the 5n14 needle 2nd clip &190 main. the breathsweet filter transformed it and was fine. Just fitted 60mm crank and it had a very slight sieze.

Moved needle down to 3rd notch and main up to 200. Doing South downs run yesterday, trip of around 260 miles, Sustained flat out riding seems fine and plug definaitley showing running very rich. Now prone to major bogging when trying to open up from corners and on pull away, so assumng needle is causing this?

once the throttle is 'feathered' a little the respanse from these little carbs is amazing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information