230 touring motor, which way to go?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Thinking of building a touring motor over the winter months and was thinking along the lines as starting with an Indian casing and using the pacemaker gearbox, and other internals from my existing 175 iron motor, probably be looking at a better clutch though, 6plate maybe? And JL3 pipe. Probably a TMX30 or smaller carb. But which way should I go with the cylinder? I like the idea of the over bored and ported Indian barrel from Harry Barlow in that if it seizes or a ring breaks or whatever it's a relatively cheap and simple matter of reboring it and fitting an over size piston. Or should I consider something like the RT 225/230 kit, not sure I like the idea of a Nicasil lined bore though in that if something goes wrong it's scrap, just looking for opinions on which way to go at the moment I'm after a nice torquy motor, not interested in something with 40 Bhp that revs to the moon.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Why not look at one of the GT kit then? Decent piston, reed valve, cast iron... ticks all your boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

I have an RT195 matched with the BGM clubman, 60mm crank and a 30mm delly. 18 hp, easy to ride and not peaky.
I like it, does what it says n the the tin, if the 225 matches the 195 then you won't be disappointed.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

GT has the benefit of reed valve out of the box.

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Buy a buggered RB barrel get it steel lined, welded etc to suit your requirements

Grant McLachlan
Main scooter: Indian GP RT 225

Have an RT225 with a open mouthed 28mm dellorto and a JL pipe, Standard Indian GP 200 box giving a gear ratio of 5.20.1 with a 58x107 crank. Excellent motor with effortless power delivery and in my experience very quick and capable of sustained full throttle, however can't help myself gonna try a 19 tooth drive sprocket which should give around 4.95.1 and subsequently increase flat out speed, i was clocked by a car at 76 most cars are 4mph over calibrated so I was likely doing 72 but the motor felt under geared hence my experimentation with gear ratio's, I'll wait and see.
Scooterdude

Meds wrote:I have an RT195 matched with the BGM clubman, 60mm crank and a 30mm delly. 18 hp, easy to ride and not peaky.
I like it, does what it says n the the tin, if the 225 matches the 195 then you won't be disappointed.
Sounds pretty good that, would guess the 225/230 version would make little if any more power but should produce a fair bit more torque.

Regarding the 200 casing is it feasible to have my existing casing modified to take the large block cylinder? I've seen some pictures of ones that have been done with welding still visible and voids in the finished machined surface, pretty gash looking work to be honest but I guess there are people that can do a nice job.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

This is my opinion only.

I built a rapido 225 from an Indian casing instead of upgrading my 150 motor.
I have ridden with guys on GT186 kits on the rapido and they kept up except on hills

I later upgraded my 150 motor using the RT kit as I wasn't using the 150. I don't know which one I prefer now
With hind sight I wouldn't have bothered going to a 200 block , just spent the cash on getting a well set up/geared 186 or 195 kit.
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Take the Gt kit option, they are fine in std format and even better when tweaked.
Rt kits are good as are mugello/monza kits. Personally i have a gt 200 on my own ride and it ticks every box the most important being fuel consumption
Scooterdude

Lambretta Sash wrote:Take the Gt kit option, they are fine in std format and even better when tweaked.
Rt kits are good as are mugello/monza kits. Personally i have a gt 200 on my own ride and it ticks every box the most important being fuel consumption
yes fuel consumption is a biggie for me as well which is one reason I like the Harry Barlow kit, nice big fat torque band and not to revvy with decent fuel consumption..... But is a modern kit going to give much more?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information