More problems, exhaust full of petrol

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

1) Do you turn your petrol tap off when not in use? If so....it's not working, check it out.

2) There has to be a fault with your floats and/or float valve. These items act as your 'ballcock' to stop flow, so of the flow is continuing...that's where the problem stems from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:1) Do you turn your petrol tap off when not in use? If so....it's not working, check it out.

2) There has to be a fault with your floats and/or float valve. These items act as your 'ballcock' to stop flow, so if the flow is continuing...that's where the problem stems from.

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Snails

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:1) Do you turn your petrol tap off when not in use? If so....it's not working, check it out.

2) There has to be a fault with your floats and/or float valve. These items act as your 'ballcock' to stop flow, so of the flow is continuing...that's where the problem stems from.

Yes turn off fuel when not in use - although it's much quicker than that - to get it started I flip fuel on and off get it running after lots of kicks and then if I turn fuel in when it starts to starve it dies. Then fuel will be leaking out of the exhaust after a few mins

I'll have another look at float etc but can't think what it could be. I'll maybe up load a video just in case there is something I'm missing
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If your exhaust is full of petrol,then either your float is sticking and not allowing your float valve to close,or your float valve is not seating correctly.
Last edited by HxPaul on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Take carb off and expose the float assembly. Fit short length of pipe to fuel inlet. Blow through it and as you do then lift the float and note where/if it shuts off and you can't blow anymore. This will demonstrate if it's working ok. The fuel tap is really a red herring as your float valve is as previously excellently described a "ballcock".
If the float valve assembly is working then you don't need to shut off the fuel tap, although it is good practice to do so.
Snails

That's what I was thinking of doing as a test but with fuel and the chamber closed. Thanks for the tip
Snails

Here is a video of my test

http://youtu.be/505_ZPXcGgY
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Is it possible that you may be refitting the float bowl the wrong way round thus preventing the float from working correctly?
Snails

Scooterdude wrote:Is it possible that you may be refitting the float bowl the wrong way round thus preventing the float from working correctly?
It only fites one way unfortunately - good idea though
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Snails wrote:
Scooterdude wrote:Is it possible that you may be refitting the float bowl the wrong way round thus preventing the float from working correctly?
It only fites one way unfortunately - good idea though
well ok that rules that out. Now get a measuring jug and half fill it with petrol, take out your float and submerge it in said jug and petrol and look for air bubbles coming from the float, hold it there for a while and see if it sinks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information