checking wiring with multi meter

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

Have you verified the regulator is earthed properly? i.e. if you "buzz" with the meter from the regulator metal body to the engine you get a "beep"

Poor earth could give you those symptoms
rainbowrunner
Main scooter: Series 2, RT 195

coaster wrote:
rainbowrunner wrote:coaster wrote,

I'm not so sure that does prove the regulator is ok :? as it would normally be getting an AC feed not DC. Doesn't anyone you know have a spare regulator to lend you?

I had a bulb holder with a wire to the output on reg and earthed the other wire from bulb holder , when i start the bike the bulb lit up , so to me the reg is getting power from the stator (AC) and i,m getting power from the reg to light the bulb :P I only connected the brown from reg to a battery to see if the power was getting to the headset which it is. going to clean up all the earths in morn and make sure there clean & tight and try again ;)
thanks for all help so far.
Right, that wasn't clear from your earlier post. When you said earlier that you put the brown back in, started the engine but got nothing, did you have lamps in or were you just checking for volts with a meter? I only ask because the regulator needs a load connected otherwise it automatically shorts the stator volts to earth...you would still see some output though.

hi, yes i put brown back in reg, started bike , switched lights on but nothing worked, all bulbs are in place, like i said before every thing works if i connect a battery to the brown.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

At the headset end remove the brown from the loom and connect it direct to the red or blue of the headlamp bulb. If you have power at the headset end you headlight should light all the time. You have bypassed the light switch and this will prove your loom from the back to the front, any stop off like the rear brake switch that a lot of looms seem to have, some even stop off at the horn before getting to the head set. If you can get that far you need to look at the brown and purple that go off to the light switch and then back to the bulb. If its a new loom does it have a brown and a purple if not you need to connect any purples to the brown at the headset. Some of the new looms have this extra link at the headset, a lot don't so half the scooter does not work
rainbowrunner

Monty wrote:At the headset end remove the brown from the loom and connect it direct to the red or blue of the headlamp bulb. If you have power at the headset end you headlight should light all the time. You have bypassed the light switch and this will prove your loom from the back to the front, any stop off like the rear brake switch that a lot of looms seem to have, some even stop off at the horn before getting to the head set. If you can get that far you need to look at the brown and purple that go off to the light switch and then back to the bulb. If its a new loom does it have a brown and a purple if not you need to connect any purples to the brown at the headset. Some of the new looms have this extra link at the headset, a lot don't so half the scooter does not work

cheers monty, i,ll try that in morning. ;)
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

rainbowrunner wrote:
Monty wrote:At the headset end remove the brown from the loom and connect it direct to the red or blue of the headlamp bulb. If you have power at the headset end you headlight should light all the time. You have bypassed the light switch and this will prove your loom from the back to the front, any stop off like the rear brake switch that a lot of looms seem to have, some even stop off at the horn before getting to the head set. If you can get that far you need to look at the brown and purple that go off to the light switch and then back to the bulb. If its a new loom does it have a brown and a purple if not you need to connect any purples to the brown at the headset. Some of the new looms have this extra link at the headset, a lot don't so half the scooter does not work

cheers monty, i,ll try that in morning. ;)
Youve already proven that the headset wiring is operational by connecting battery to brown at regulator..... just sayin.....
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Ok I thought we had proved the regulator but after re reading it maybe not.
What about connecting the output from the stator direct to the brown going to the headset. That will give you unregulated AC that will prove all switches and connections.. If you Rev it a lot you may blow some lamps as it could be outputting over 20v. If that works but not when it goes into and out of the regulator then that's at fault. Learning how to use a cheap voltmeter would save all this guess work. But it's not fool proof if you don't know how to use the meter
rainbowrunner

today I run another wire from the reg straight up to the headset, stated the bike and touched contacts on bulb and it lit up, so i think i can rule out the reg being duff,
For what they cost i think i may be better off fitting a new loom (simplified) because the more i look at this wiring its a mess, it looks like the previous owner built his own loom and taped it all together, its not even routed correctly, its zip tied to the gear & clutch cables next to the spark plug :shock:
rainbowrunner

new loom fitted, also got a new junction box for the headset, everything now works as it should, happy days, :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information