TDC the measuring of.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, is this an accurate way of measuring TDC? It's something i cobbled together as I'm not too keen on using the piston stop throught the spark plug hole method. Any comments / advice greatly appreciated Pete.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

put a dial gauge in the middle then you have it.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

fairspares wrote:put a dial gauge in the middle then you have it.
I'm confused now. Surely this is the same as the "positive stop" method only with the cylinder head removed. Or I'm I missing something here?
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

whats wrong with sticking something down the plug hole? i use plumbers solder as the positive stop, clockwise, mark, anticlockwise, mark, put your timing gauge on your flywheel and inbetween your 2 marks is TDC, then adjust to how many degress you want to set up, EASY. ive also done your set up with a dial gauge in the middle, when the motors out of the frame
sean brady scooters
Dealer

in my experience ,the positive stop method is by far the most accurate ...either with head on or off .
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
lambro

thebassmasta wrote:whats wrong with sticking something down the plug hole? i use plumbers solder as the positive stop, clockwise, mark, anticlockwise, mark, put your timing gauge on your flywheel and inbetween your 2 marks is TDC, then adjust to how many degress you want to set up, EASY. ive also done your set up with a dial gauge in the middle, when the motors out of the frame

Does solder not squish just a gnats cock on the first positive stop and then go slightly further on the other poitive stop??
lambro

Piston dead stop tool, just don't use the kickstart to bring the piston to the stop.
Works for me 8-)
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Someone well respected in the scootering world had a hook suspended from a ceiling on which he'd hang a lambretta engine using the conrod and tdc would get marked off. I can't remember the person but I thought it was a great solution. There's always more than one way to skin a cat!
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

rice krispies test is best; ya poor some in y plug hole an turn y engine flyweel round til y hear snap mark it back otha way till y hear crackle mark it then y put a pop between the two; works for me 8-)

muppet,
C’est la vie
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

lambro wrote:
thebassmasta wrote:whats wrong with sticking something down the plug hole? i use plumbers solder as the positive stop, clockwise, mark, anticlockwise, mark, put your timing gauge on your flywheel and inbetween your 2 marks is TDC, then adjust to how many degress you want to set up, EASY. ive also done your set up with a dial gauge in the middle, when the motors out of the frame

Does solder not squish just a gnats cock on the first positive stop and then go slightly further on the other poitive stop??
not plumbers solder its about 8mm thick
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information