Jumps out of 2nd gear

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Guys, Indian GP lambretta that wants to jump out of 2nd gear as your moving away ....1st, 3rd and 4th seem ok.....what's the resolution here ? Thanks
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Double check gear cables are ok then it's a gearbox strip down.......worn parts being the obvious thing to look for (2nd gear, selector arms, etc). Might be worth checking how well the 2nd gear lines up with the xmas tree, re-shimming may be required.
Strummer10

thanks....
jazzyb

Does sound like gear cables tho
Architecten
Main scooter: Allwyn Pushpak GP125 (RT200)

Sliding dog? I had this problem and it slowly got worse to the point it was jumping between gears with the clutch pulled in at a standstill... to point it was stripping the trunnion off the cable. I got new selector arm, set and reset cables etc but it wasn't until we got inside that the problem became apparent. The sliding dog was a vietnamese piece of sh1t. The power of the RT kit through gears just mangled the feet ends. When compared to the innocenti one we managed to get hold they were completely different. The vietnamese thing would never have been able to fully select a gear...
Strummer10

Its a mate's bike, but yesterday we checked the cables and slackened off etc and they are fine. The gears internally are covered in rust ? I think someone's just slammed in parts to sell the bike, we are gonna check if it's actually an indian GP 200 gearbox (could be an LI 125 or something) .....also one of the end plate bolts missing and the dowel pin passes from the engine block through the endplate itself, rather than it being retained in place. It doesn't help that my friend didn't blooming check oil levels so the bike has run dry in there, we replaced the clutch (fair bit rust on the separating plates)....anyone know where you can get the see through oil level nuts from, might be worth sticking one on to make it easier to check oil levels ?
Strummer10

also got an oversized new bolt for the endplate and tapped out the case, but it needs to be a bit longer (the one I have doesn't provide enough thread once endplate on to get nut and washer on).......joys of poor parts
Strummer10

feel sorry for the guy...........you offer to help and it turns into a nightmare of jobs lol
Strummer10

fitted a new sliding dog and the jumping out of 2nd gear has been resolved, BUT it is quite difficult to change between gears and quite a bit of travel at the handlebar to get into gear.....could be the pin on the rod / plastic wheel has too much play (probably a further issue) . We bought a second hand, but new sliding dog at Kettering and put it onto the indian layshaft, I did notice it was a tight fit so not sure if part maybe compatible ? or maybe needs wearing in a bit
stew
Main scooter: Series 1 and series 2

Strummer10 wrote:also got an oversized new bolt for the endplate and tapped out the case, but it needs to be a bit longer (the one I have doesn't provide enough thread once endplate on to get nut and washer on).......joys of poor parts
Beedspeed do a stepped stud M8 to M7
Loud pipes save lives!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information