LML engine

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
stonerosesmod
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150S

Hi all,

Im currently building a matt black cutdown/rat scooter and will need an engine for it.A mate of mine has a 125 engine from his 09 plate LML which he says he can do a cheap deal with me for some work on his scooter.The LML engine ran well and he had a 150 5 port kit on which seized on him so thats scrap.Is it worth me popping a DR177 kit and a 22 toothed clutch on this engine as i wanna keep it a cheap tune,or is there a known weak point on LML engines i need to look at too? Or do i hold out for an italian PX engine?
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Crank, stator & cdi unit.
stonerosesmod

I also have another mate with a complete lml 125 engine which has just been ran in before he removed it for a tuned P200 engine.I recon although this will cost a bit more,may be a better bet.I still think ill go with the DR kit to give it a chance on the road,but is it worth swapping the crank on that as well or suck it and see?
ArmandTanzarian

I'm only repeating what I've read on here but the Crank is often mentioned as a weak spot. And you are increasing the power and the rev range........
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

The DR kit is very tight so I would make sure you chamfer the exhaust port at least. If it were me I would still change the crank and go with the 5 port.
goldeneye

aye , they are hit and miss with the quality of the cranks, just changed a low mileage one on a 2012 model LML , again, big end solidly seized. gaz powell off here watched me put a fooked lml crank in the Vice, and whack the conrod with a lump hammer...DOING!..... didn't move! :shock: so, yeah, change the crank and oilseals , fly bearing (main bearings are ok ) and cruciform etc. they are good engines,good quality castings etc. but let down by shitty cranks. if its a good price go for it, but I"d offer a LOT less than an Italian engine of the same age.
coaster

The 5port barrel should be ok, get good reviews on the LML forum. Piston and barrel will need cleaning up of course and sort out why it seized , bore clearance, mixture, timing etc.
Juan

My mate has a very early 150 5 port and it's one of the best standard "Vespa" engines I've ever ridden. Cranks can be suspect, certainly some of them had a plastic cage on the bigend bearing.
stonerosesmod

Thanks for your comments guys :) Saw him today and turns out it was the standard LML 125 top end that seized,no idea why.Hes offering it to me for rebuilding a cpl of other engines he has,so may be the way to go.What new crank would you suggest that isnt overly expensive?
coaster

Byron on here just finished building an LML engine for me from an incomplete box of bits off eBay. The barrel got damaged in transit due to poor packaging so I bought a 5 port barrel and piston from eBay, Mickeys Spares (Delhi) £24.99 plus the same for shipping. We we were both surprised at the quality of the casting which would put most after market kits to shame. Starts and runs lovely but not been out on it yet,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information