Porting Vespa Engine casings

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Richjak

Anyone know of a good website or any other source of information for the porting of a set of P200 engine casings to take a reed valve and a Malossi 210 kit ??

Maybe you have already done this and could provide some tips hints and pointers.

Cheers.
BOTAK ITU INDAH.
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Porting the casing is fairly straight forward just match everything. Eg barrel to casing and reed block to casing. I found using google images can give you a good idea and scooterhelp website and modern Vespa forum were also usefull. When I get home from work I can post some pics of my porting work if it helps
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Rich
Don't know if you can see the link but this has been posted on modern forum, very good thread.
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic128784
Gary
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Get yourself some metal putty to plug the casing transfers that are not used.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

it all depends on how far you want to go but heres a link to start with, http://www.scooterhelp.com/tuning/vespa ... rting.html
there are ways of opening the inlet and transferes right up but you will be stuck with reed valve and cant go back to rotary.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

fairspares wrote:it all depends on how far you want to go but heres a link to start with, http://www.scooterhelp.com/tuning/vespa ... rting.html
there are ways of opening the inlet and transferes right up but you will be stuck with reed valve and cant go back to rotary.
not true ,there are ways and means of reedvalving vespas that allow a return to rotary induction .basically the pad is left intact but the crank modified more :)
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

sean brady scooters wrote:
fairspares wrote:it all depends on how far you want to go but heres a link to start with, http://www.scooterhelp.com/tuning/vespa ... rting.html
not true ,there are ways and means of reedvalving vespas that allow a return to rotary induction .basically the pad is left intact but the crank modified more :)
yes Sean , but as i said it all depends how far you want to go , if you do both and open the cases up to the max for a very high horse power motor then really there will be no return to rotary , what we need to know is what the engine is going to be used for?
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
Richjak

Thanks for all the invaluable information guys very much appreciated.

As to the point of what I want to achieve from the engine then the answer would have to be "fast road use" I know that in itself is a bit of a cliché in the world of scooter tuning but what I mean is I hope to make my engine run efficiently for the equipment that I have chosen to use. I.e. what would be the point of the Malossi 210 kit if you didn't match the transfers in the casing ??
What would be the point of utilizing a reed valve if you didn't match the intake on the casing.

I know that is a bit vague but I am sure you all get the jist of what I mean. I am not after trying to get every single ounce of power out of the engine to the degree that it goes bang every five minutes.

I think that the porting shown on the Scooter help page is more what I am after, after all this stuff costs a fortune so I will start with a more basic porting set up and then go from there once my skills knowledge and confidence have grown.

Once again thanks for all the pointers and information.
BOTAK ITU INDAH.
santacama

It is all about the exhaust you are going to use.
Richjak

Quick update:

Piston skirt has been cut off to allow for the 60mm Crank and the piston transfers ported as per a German website I found - (http://www.worb5.com/malossi_210_211_dr ... alossi.htm) Then after matching the gasket faces to the cylinder and then transferring them to the engine casings, and then removing the excess material things are starting to move ahead.

I do have photos I wanted to post but for some reason I cant post them.

I have the crank but I am still waiting for the 23/64 primary drives, the packing plate and the MMW cylinder head - once I take delivery of these Items I can start the rebuild and get the casings closed up.
BOTAK ITU INDAH.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information