Fitting Vespa Forks?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
eadmr04

Just looking to fit some forks into a Sportique. There seems to be two ridges at the bottom of the forks see pic1. The dust cover goes over the first one and then rests on the lowest ridge but not over see pic2. The lower bearing support goes to the highest ridge and stops, see pic3. Am I right in thinking they should go all the way to the bottom and if that is the case do they require a bit of "gentle persuasion" to get over the ridges and be an interference fit or should they just slip right to the bottom without persuasion? Hope this makes sense. Cheers.

wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

They should go right to the bottom. You may need to emery the forks to get the dust shield down but the bearing track should be a tight fit and will need a tubular drift to knock it down. Don't force it if very tight as it will pick up the alloy or even split.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

wack 63 wrote:They should go right to the bottom. You may need to emery the forks to get the dust shield down but the bearing track should be a tight fit and will need a tubular drift to knock it down. Don't force it if very tight as it will pick up the alloy or even split.
Agree.
It looks as if there is paint on the section. remove the paint and everything should be ok, the steering stop and the section of fork is made from alloy so no need to worry about rust. Film of grease should help get the dust cover all the way down.
I use a small wire brush on a drill, to remove the paint.
Gary
eadmr04

Thanks guys, will try removing the paint and see if I can get them on without to much pressure. Any suggestions on something suitable to use as a drift?
GLscoot

When you have removed the paint you shouldn't need anything, if you use grease it should slide on no problem. If you feel it is still not sitting properly, try using standard plastic plumbing tubing and putting the dust cover in the freezer for a couple of hours. The area should be clear of any paint dust ect and make sure there are no nicks, scratches on the forks that may damage or foul the cover. Its also easier turning the frame upside down, making sure you have enough clearance at the other end for the forks to drop into the frame, the weight of the forks should do the rest. You must also apply loads of grease to the bearing race.
Gary
eadmr04

Cheers Gary :)
sean brady scooters
Dealer

HEATING UP the bearing race and the dust cover will expand them and make fitting even easier :)
freezing things makes them smaller/tighter .
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
eadmr04

Got the bearings and forks fitted all ok now, thanks. They're forks for 10" wheel (gl, sprint) sort and I'm putting then in a VBB/Sportique frame. Anything in particular I need to look out for? I'm going to have to drill new holes in the flat plate on the forks to line up with the mudguard holes on the side but anything else that might need doing?
GLscoot

sean brady scooters wrote:HEATING UP the bearing race and the dust cover will expand them and make fitting even easier :)
freezing things makes them smaller/tighter .
Yeah. Freezing contracts and heat expands. What was I thinking, sorry.

What engine are you fitting.

Gary
eadmr04

I've managed to squeeze a 200 engine in by fitting a non autolube carb box and lid (slightly less tall). Just about misses the frame when on the stand now after a bit of gentle "tweaking" and clears fine when sat on it off the stand.

Just wondered if there was any difference in length of forks/mudguard positioning, e.g. a big gap between the mudguard and horncasting, anything like that? I've had to make my own recess at the top of the forks as the machined recess for the headset pinch bolt was 90 degress out, but that's all sorted now. I r5ealise I will have to drill 2 new holes in the mudguard mounting plate as they are in a different position but just wondered if there might be anything else I might come across?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information