Rust Converter

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

A little while ago I was speculating about the use of these products on rusted areas of metal. Well; I finally got around to giving it a go and I think you'll agree the results are remarkable.

Firstly take one rusted mudguard.

Lightly rub down. The trick here is not to remove all the rust so that the converter has something to key too.

I had intended to do a small portion of the mudguard so that it would be possible to see the bare and treated metal. But to be honest the effects were immediate and so I did the lot. I was quite surprised at how quickly the reaction took place.

So there you have it. I feel the results will vary according to the surface being treated. But, it does work. It dried quickly and it will probably only need a bit of flatting to apply paint directly to it. That's the next step. :lol:
Soulpunk

perfect and cheap is phosphoric acid from a pharmacy.
i am using this for years on rustorations.

:)
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Yes, that looks great, but what is the product called. Ooops, just spotted heading, so I presume that it is simply called "Rust Convertor?"
Doom Patrol

The product is called Vactan and it came via e.Bay. To be honest though there are a number of similar products available and I very much doubt there is any difference. As Soulpunk said though phosporic acid will do the trick and it's probably the basis of what I used anyway.
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

Can the black stuff be removed...?

My side panels have some rust, not sure how to conserve them to not make it worse without re-doing them completely...

Doom Patrol

That's the inert rust Victor. The idea is you just give it a bit of a rub down and paint directly over the top. A mudguard is pretty easy. Although, I've since done an old wheel rim. I think it would be a little more technical with spots of rust on a side panel. But, I would think it ought to work fine if you rub the spot down and make sure it's grease free before you treat it. You can probably polish it back once it's properly dry. Get yourself down to your local model shop and pick up some little brushes.
scooterslag

victor wrote:Can the black stuff be removed...?

My side panels have some rust, not sure how to conserve them to not make it worse without re-doing them completely...

ACF-50 spray would be ideal for you needs chap. ;)
The mack daddy on the left!
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

As Soulpunk said, "perfect and cheap is phosphoric acid from a pharmacy.
i am using this for years on rustorations."
How would you use this, similar to the first post.
Alternatively, do you let it soak etc. But once dry, do you wash off or can you spray directly. Suppose I could Google the answere, but any comments would be appreciated. Need some rust conversion for my rally that is sat in the garage ready for a strip down and re-build.

Thanks
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

Cheers!
Junglemod
Main scooter: 62 series 3 li

Hi
Just too add to this subject I use something called ferro guard .
Can be put onto wet surfaces too to seal it all , ( not done anything that way myself ) and i use it in an outdoor work environment .
Brushes are washable with water too , creates same effect as the above pics .
Also been using this on some of my Vw restorations after new steel has been welded in treat with ferro guard then primer .
Cheers Steve
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information