petrol / oil / running

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mickymidas
Main scooter: Vespa Rally /P200

Due to go a ride tomorrow with lads from work , so giving scoot once over and found gearbox oil reeks of petrol .

Think I saw somewhere that if i run engine and drain gear oil , revs will pick up and confirm clutch side seal has gone . ( seal about 4mths old)

Re-filled with fresh oil, started up and warmed engine up for about 10 mins ( occasional rev up )
drained gear oil when running , revs did not pick up :huh:
Any other reason why petrol in gear oil ? , or any other test to try ?
Scoot has been a bit temperamental starting of late and I am fed up of being the usual one to break down on works ride outs

Cheers m'dears
2Ronnies sc.......Chuckleism is the way forward
goldeneye

the revs will rise if its totally fooked, if its on its way out, it will still let petrol past. I only use metal backed ones , locktited and dot punched into place. another tip is give the lip of the seal a smear of grease when pulling the crank home, saves nipping the inner edge of the seal.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I wonder did you leave the fuel tap on? My float needle wore out a while back and gave the same symptoms as yours. Very difficult to start and a gearbox full of petrol too. I'd a habit of forgetting to knock the fuel off. Bike ran fine once started but sometimes had to peddle the kickstart to get it running. New float needle and problem solved for me!
mickymidas
Main scooter: Vespa Rally /P200

paul d wrote:I wonder did you leave the fuel tap on? My float needle wore out a while back and gave the same symptoms as yours. Very difficult to start and a gearbox full of petrol too. I'd a habit of forgetting to knock the fuel off. Bike ran fine once started but sometimes had to peddle the kickstart to get it running. New float needle and problem solved for me!
Funnily enough I have had fuel issues recently with a small amount of fuel sitting in the barrel , even after I have turned tap off . Thought I had cured it but perhaps not. Might not start panicking just yet then and look at the carb/float option instead, cheers fella
2Ronnies sc.......Chuckleism is the way forward
coaster

mickymidas wrote:
paul d wrote:I wonder did you leave the fuel tap on? My float needle wore out a while back and gave the same symptoms as yours. Very difficult to start and a gearbox full of petrol too. I'd a habit of forgetting to knock the fuel off. Bike ran fine once started but sometimes had to peddle the kickstart to get it running. New float needle and problem solved for me!
Funnily enough I have had fuel issues recently with a small amount of fuel sitting in the barrel , even after I have turned tap off . Thought I had cured it but perhaps not. Might not start panicking just yet then and look at the carb/float option instead, cheers fella
Petrol evaporates quite quickly so if there is enough leaking to pollute your gearbox oil I would expect it to be fairly obvious i.e petrol dripping and running down. I WOULD THINK A leaking tap would only contribute to your problem if the carb is on the kickstart side (ala TS1, IMOLA, Monza ETS)
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I suppose as a funny aside, 2 years ago when I was having the float needle issue I parked the scoot up for 2 or 3 months. I went out to the shed to change the oil, grease stuff, just a quick service before going on a spin the following day. I opened the oil level screw as a I always do just to help the oil flow out of the drain plug. Petroil pumped out of the level screw missing my oil pan completely! Put the screw back in, cleaned the floor, got a larger pan and opened the screw again. It flowed for ages. Surreal moment. Then screwed off the drain plug, another blast of petroil. Decided to start the scoot for the heck of it just to see if it'd rev high which would indicate blown seal. Noticed I'd left the fuel tap on. Started kickstarting the bike. 20 odd kicks later and no sign of engine life I looked into the tank. Empty! all of the tank had drained into the gearbox. I'm not strictly disagreeing with coaster. I'm sure what he says is true for most scoots but my T5 managed to fill the gearbox but didn't drip anything out anywhere while doing it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information