clutch drag

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

I'm having problems with clutch drag on px engined 63 vnb. On closer inspection of the clutch I noticed that because it has been fitted with stronger springs (pollini 177 kit) that they do not compress as far, which I believe is causing the drag. Do I replace with standard springs, but may incur slipping, or would the 0.8mm spacer http://beedspeed.com/vespa-clutch-space ... 10184.html be enough to solve it?
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
Juan

Does it have a Cosa style clutch in it? There's a known problem with many of these that the turrets aren't deep enough. They need to be 22mm deep to disenguage properly so check that before you go spending any coin.
djh66

Juan wrote:Does it have a Cosa style clutch in it? There's a known problem with many of these that the turrets aren't deep enough. They need to be 22mm deep to disenguage properly so check that before you go spending any coin.
No, its a 3 cork and 3 plate type, 7 springs, with a gear kit. I had problems with a mates cosa clutch, we had to get new plates and corks which were 1.0mm thinner, which solved it.
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Have you checked the actuating arm, they have been known to seize due to the crap that is kicked up by the rear wheel. A good clean with a wire brush and a liberal dose of carburettor cleaner should remove most of the dirt. If you still have the clutch cover off check the rubber 'O' rings inside the lever are ok as well, then apply some grease to the plunger and the arm. If that doesn't solve it try the spacer, but Ive found the oil cog spacers to be the best fit even if you have removed the oil pump.
Gary
djh66

GLscoot wrote:Have you checked the actuating arm, they have been known to seize due to the crap that is kicked up by the rear wheel. A good clean with a wire brush and a liberal dose of carburettor cleaner should remove most of the dirt. If you still have the clutch cover off check the rubber 'O' rings inside the lever are ok as well, then apply some grease to the plunger and the arm. If that doesn't solve it try the spacer, but Ive found the oil cog spacers to be the best fit even if you have removed the oil pump.
Gary
That's ok
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Have a 4 plate polini with stronger springs in my old style clutch and even though when I was building it I had my doubts with the strength of the springs and the lack of space with the extra plate... it works great. Springs that aren't seated properly might be your problem. Even one wrong will give you drag. With a torch have a look in at the springs, any out of place can be seated with the push of a screwdriver. They give a satisfying click when fully home. If you haven't gone through this process with the clutch already, then it's almost a guarantee that there's a few out of place. Good luck with it.
djh66

Thanks for all your replies, I have know sorted it. I noticed that with the x strong springs that were fitted, the clutch did not compress fully, leaving a 3mm gap between bottom plate and housing, so I changed to standard springs this compressed fully, I've also fitted the 0.8mm spacer behind the clutch..hey - presto solved. Now onto the next job - front suspension!!
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information