Cheap and reliable electronic ignition

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I'm led to believe.... :? that the new BGM flywheels aren't working with Augustos, M-Techs and the like. Unless there is a bespoke advance/retard unit that works with the flywheel then you're stuck with static ignition.
carlos fandango

I've had an electrex ign for five years , it's been on a couple of my scoots.
The reason for buying it was that I wanted a reliable ign for a rally bike. After a few months , it dawned on me that if I do have any problems I would not be able to get spares from rally stalls or swap bits with my riding companions ! So I swapped for a bog std Indian ign. So I haven't really "tested"it in the five years I have had it.
I refitted it to my rally bike at the beginning of the year, and have so far done about 6 rallies, plus prob 6 before , so a total of roughly 3/4 thousand miles without any problems.
If you get one, buy it from a dealer who understands the kit, and not just an ebay seller. I got mine from readspeed, and when I had a problem with it (turned out it was something else :oops: ) he was happy to help , and I also learned that if the cdi dose pack up a normal Vespa type will work on it ;) .
They are dear , but well made and as you say proven bike technology .
As a general rule cheap and reliable is an oxymoron !i would agree, but expensive doesn't guarantee reliability ! The letters B G M spring to mind ;)
The alternative is to buy an Indian ign, and a spare stator and cdi , it's still cheaper then the other kits :D
Russ
P.s. Don't bother speaking directly to electrex, they're a waste of space ! Lol
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
carlos fandango

I forgot to say , I'm running it full dc , and the stator doesn't need to be converted :)
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

aye, but £300 is still twice as dear as my set up
Donnie.
carlos fandango

You have, and so do i on another scooter.
But we have an indian flywheel, that can sheer or rattle loose the rivets or loose a magnet.
An Indian stator, that can fail at any random time for no apparent reason.
A CDI that can randomly fail, again,for no apparent reason, well at least the indian ones , not heard anything about the BGM ones.
As i have said, i have the above set up, and i just carry spares. I have also changed indian stator plates on the hard shoulder of a french motorway in the rain ! :( ...TWICE ....last year :(

So whats cheap and whats dear ? If you'd have asked me that question, when i had the rain running down my back, id have said the £150 extra would of been worth the money :D

Ive also heard as many failures with BGM stators that cost £80 as i have for the indian ones which i can get for £30.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Russ, how did you wire the electrex for full DC?

I have the brolam version to fit. I mailed them and they said they were working on testing a DC ’conversion’ which they hinted was a different regulator / rectifier but didn't give any details.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Forget electronic ignition. There isn't one that doesn't have some drawback to it. Points are the future I'm telling you. ;)
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

nostalgia; its the future
C’est la vie
carlos fandango

rosscla wrote:Russ, how did you wire the electrex for full DC?

I have the brolam version to fit. I mailed them and they said they were working on testing a DC ’conversion’ which they hinted was a different regulator / rectifier but didn't give any details.
I used a wassel , and it's wired in as with the normal Indian type stator. The electrex has two yellow wires as std. so the lighting coils are not earthed on the stator. I'm no electrical expert and ran the idea past Jerome first, he said it would work , and so far it is :)
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

carlos fandango wrote:You have, and so do i on another scooter.
But we have an indian flywheel, that can sheer or rattle loose the rivets or loose a magnet.
An Indian stator, that can fail at any random time for no apparent reason.
A CDI that can randomly fail, again,for no apparent reason, well at least the indian ones , not heard anything about the BGM ones.
As i have said, i have the above set up, and i just carry spares. I have also changed indian stator plates on the hard shoulder of a french motorway in the rain ! :( ...TWICE ....last year :(

So whats cheap and whats dear ? If you'd have asked me that question, when i had the rain running down my back, id have said the £150 extra would of been worth the money :D

Ive also heard as many failures with BGM stators that cost £80 as i have for the indian ones which i can get for £30.
Exactly, any electronic device can fail at any time, so comparing indian to bgm to electex is no different in that sense, nor are cdi's, i've NEVER used the cheap crap ones though, always ducati or bgm. Indian flywheels? Only seen one shear in 20 odd years personally. nothing wrong with buying less expensive components if you know what you are working with, optimise them and carry spares.
Donnie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information