hidden master cylinder questions

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tavspeed

got a outboard disc on its way,and have a grimeca master cylinder with bracket to fit behind horncast,what is the best way to fit the cable to the master cylinder linkage as it came with no clevis pin.
i am thinking of enlarging the holes out to 6mm and using a 6mm bolt with a shoulder and drilling a 3mm hole through it for the front brake cable and using some type of solderless nipple,just thinking this will only leave 1.5mm either side on the bolt shoulder,anyone recommmend any other method and where to get bits from.
eden
Dealer

don't bother because your front brake will be spongy and s**t!
tavspeed

bought the bits now,if all the air is bled out why will it be spongy,have rode a few lammys with a handlebar mounted cylinder and thought these where a bit too keen especially in the wet,
i was led to believe the remote cable operated system isn't as vicious as the handlebar master cylinder,and has more "feel "
eden
Dealer

I fitted one to my winter model, did one rally with it like that and took it off when I got home. the braking with it on were worse than the braking on my standard inboard disk. it crap because you loose too much in the cable flex, I thought about that when I fitted mine and made the cable as short and straight as is possible yet it was still crap.
Muttley McLadd

By 'feel', do you mean 'sponginess as there's a cable involved'?

If you set your brake up with the correct size master cylinder, it will work perfectly. If you set it up with the wrong size one, it'll be keen/wooden.
CakeAndArseParty
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Heard said that using a thicker front brake inner helps to lose the spongyness (ie, cable stretch)
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
davet

I use one and it's really good. In fact four of us have done many thousands of trouble free miles with them, over the alps, Pyrennees and coast to coasts. A vacuum bleed system helped set it up. Just coz one is s**t doesn't make them all s**t. Hey ho! That's the magic of forums.
tavspeed

looking for best way to attach cable to mastercylinder,mine has no clevis pin,anyone got any pictures etc.
soulsurfer

I use this set up,on one of my bikes and it's great, no sponginess at all. If you use a decent, thicker front brake cable, Scooter Restos do 'em, and bleed it all properly it'll work fine. Fitting the cable at the m/c end is also important. On mine I opened up,the hole and turned down a gear trunnion to fit through, no issues whatsoever. Also make sure there's no flexing on the bracket itself ;-)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
lofty

mine was a faff to set up and bleed but once done works very well..
I echo soulsurfers comments above, particularly regarding thick cable and a solid mount..
I drilled a small piece of steel rod that fitted through the S/C lever hole to locate the cable, and used a gear trunnion against the bottom of the lever.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information