Hidden rectifier / regulator

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Sam_C
Main scooter: Lambretta GP225

I was browsing Edit * BGM's * website, and saw that they sell a CDI unit hidden inside an old-style coil casing to give that "original" look. As I always run my scoots full DC with a Podtronics regulator /rectifier,I wondered if it would be possible to hide that away as well. So let's see shall we? -

Step 1, find an old-style rectifier and take it to pieces.

Step 2, take all the unwanted gubbins out, just leaving the original female bullet connector blocks in situ. This is midway through, those four coil mounting "lumps" have to go to leave a nice smooth surface to mount the Pod

Step 3, get your Podtronics and spend half a day shaving bits off until it all fits nicely inside the box then attach it. Cut down the four wires from the Pod very short (scarily short), solder them to the rear four sockets on the connector block and reassemble it all.

Step 4, put it all back together, including the metal mounting / heat dissipating block at the rear and there you go...

Step 5, Trial fit on frame, go for celebratory beer.

All you have to do then is modify the loom so that the relevant ends have original size bullet connectors, plug it in and off you go. Will it work? One possible problem could be overheating as the fins on the Pod are there to dissipate the heat to free air, not to the inside a plastic box. If that does happen, I'll get a Dremel and slice slots in the underneath and inside (hidden) faces of the box to allow some air circulation. If that fails, well as a last resort I can always cut the box cover down so that the connector block is still covered but the fins are exposed. As I have never felt a Pod unit in use, I don't know how much heat is produced so we'll just have to wait and see. But the answer to my question is...yes, it can de done. :D
Last edited by Sam_C on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooterspy

Did the same thing last year, except I hid junction boxes inside the rubber boot on the top of the rectifier and cut the sides of the plastic cover to create some air flow for heat dissipation. All working well.
Sam_C

Excellent, that sound promising then, Scooterspy.
soulsurfer

Excellent, but who's this...
:-D
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Dimitrios_231

If you only want to use it on a modern DC or the original 12V points conversion ,it is easier to hide a small solid state rectifier in the Ducati box.The drawback is that you'll need to use an external zener diode and a heatsink somewhere.

I won't comment on the other pic :o :mrgreen:
Sam_C

Haha, good spot Mike! That is Lynn Tilton who is a mega rich owner of Patriarch,,an American investment company. Unfortunately it appears that money cannot buy you class, as this is one of the more restrained examples of her Xmas card offerings! As one of her customers (stop sniggering at the back) I am blessed / cursed to receive my annual Yuletide greeting..

soulsurfer wrote:Excellent, but who's this...
Last edited by Sam_C on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulsurfer

Sam_C wrote:Haha, good spot Mike! That is Lynn Tilton who is a mega rich owner of Patriot,,an American investment company. Unfortunately it appears that money cannot buy you class, as this is one of the more restrained examples of her Xmas card offerings! As one of her customers (stop sniggering at the back) I am blessed / cursed to receive my annual Yuletide greeting..

soulsurfer wrote:Excellent, but who's this...
Brilliant! I bet you can't wait for the calendar :lol:
Sam_C

Fortunately I can't find the one with her sat legs akimbo astride a helicopter tailboom (she owns MD helicopters)!! You'd love the good taste displayed on that effort.. :D
soulsurfer

:lol: It's just shame she's not a looker eh Steve?
Sam_C

Mate, that was when she looked good! I won't scare the kids on here with a picture of how she looks now, but if you have the stomach for it...

http://www.helihub.com/wordpress/wp-con ... ilton4.jpg

Hope all is well in your world Mike. Any new projects coming up?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information