Blowing a fuse

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I have wired up my GP as per Wassell conversion. Had all the lights, horn etc. working off the battery, engine has not yet been run as I'm still working on one or two things. Last week I couldn't find my usual set of keys when I was wanting to check something so got the spare out. It was really stiff in the lock and hard to turn. This week I found the main set of keys but when I turned the the key the sidelight worked ok but when I turned it to the main bulb position it blew the fuse on the earth side of the battery (15 amp).

I haven't had time to try to diagnose this yet but I suspect that it is a short somewhere in the headlight wiring circuit either in the key switch or in the main beam switch. Is it possible that the stiff key could have damaged the ignition switch and caused an internal short? It's an 80s pattern switch which I've never had any bother with before.

The only other thing I can think that has changed is I removed the speedo bulb wire as i'm fitting a SIP unit. I've run the wires in for this but not connected anything yet.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
  • Information