Rotax 300 builld

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
RManson
Main scooter: Jet 200

Turning a corner now, literally, and we're looking to mate the main chamber to the silencer/tail pipe.

ImageRotax Lamby build-134 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Once again, I'll be looking to utilize the stock FMF components, which includes the silencer section.

ImageRotax Lamby build-135 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RManson

ImageRotax Lamby build-133 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Once the location of the silencer is sorted, the last exhaust mount can be fabricated.

ImageRotax Lamby build-137 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-138 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Note the spring mounts have also been installed between the silencer and the pipe, which allow the pipe to "grow" while still keeping everything nice and tight.
Last edited by RManson on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RManson

A similar setup is at the opposite end...

ImageRotax Lamby build-140 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RManson

Here's another shot of the finished exhaust from another angle.

ImageRotax Lamby build-136 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RManson

Making some headway on the build, though I've been bad about posting updates. Mostly just lots of little things that aren't worthy of a post. Sorting out the clutch, ignition, etc. As mentioned early in the build, I'm using a Gran Turismo ignition kit, which utilizes Aprilia RS125 stuff but I couldn't get the motor to fire and run properly. Ended up swapping out the stock CDI for a programmable unit from MSD (#4217) which I can program from my laptop in addition to an MSD Blaster coil. This did the trick and now we've got a nice big spark. It also features the capability of utilizing a TPS (throttle position sensor) to create a 3D ignition map. Now just need to get a chance to set the gear change cables and take 'er for a ride!

For now, enjoy the first startup video!

ImageRotax Lamby build-142 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hi ryan,
that sounds very nice indeed, i bet your looking forward to your first road test, let us know how it goes,
cheers,
holty
:D
gaz_powell

This is great - keep it coming
RManson

Will do! Chasing a couple minor coolant leaks then it's time to shred! Then it's time to take it all apart and make it pretty. :roll:
RManson

Pissed off the neighbors, shredded the lawn, and smiled from ear to ear (not necessarily in that order!) but managed to sneak in a ride before the sun set yesterday. Seems to want to "go" something pretty good, but a loose fork and no rear brake kept me to 2-3 gear just to check that the clutch works and it shifts through the gears. So far so good, will post a video real soon! In the meantime, here are a couple updates...

Ended up purchasing a seat from Mark at Scooter Speed. Pretty happy with the shape, but I think it will get a recover. Not because it needs it mind you, but because I can't leave well enough alone...

ImageRotax Lamby build-143 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Fuel selector from a jetski so that I could utilize the "reserve" portion of the stainless tank I built, modified to mate to the stock Lambretta selector lever

ImageRotax Lamby build-144 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Had to machine another sidecover so that I could run a kickstart until the motor is up and running, then I will revisit the electric start. This meant a redesign of the hydraulic clutch was possible, resulting in a better working (and removable) unit.

ImageRotax Lamby build-145 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-146 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RManson

Once I had the bike up and running, it seemed like every day had a short "to-do" list that turned into an all-day affair. The bar ends were one of those issues.

ImageRotax Lamby build-149 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-147 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-148 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Wanted to add a little more anti-vibration to the headset, plus I had these super cool Flyrite Choppers grips that my buddy Jason forgot I had. Turned out they were larger than the Lamby tubes, so some engineering was in order.
Last edited by RManson on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information