Clutch

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ALANREN

Bought a 5 plate clutch kit from SCOOT-R-SHOP ,but it does not fit in std basket, a deep 5 plate one is needed to complete the kit at extra cost!!! Also the claw is 5mm taller than std, this is going to cause the top plate to foul on kickstart shaft, meaning a packing plate is needed under the chaincase of a possible 5mm, anybody using one of these kits agree? or any better ideas?
bizzly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Sell it on and get a 5 plate cork and steel kit from Beedspeed....got one in my standard clutch basket and it works a treat. Make sure you have the 1.2mm steels in and not the 1.5
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

Buy cheap...................buy twice!
ALANREN

It wasnt cheap £60 + a further £60 for the deep sprocket not to mention the packer and extended kickstart shaft. A surflex 5 plate green + 1.2mm steels and springs is £44 at scooter restorations, got one on order.
Adam_Winstone

Is this a bad time to mention that IMO (and that of a well respected engine builder that I know) I think that the Surflex green plates are complete cr@p and don't seem to perform anything like as well as the standard Surflex 4-plate 'B' plates! Yes, some people seem to get on ok with the Surflex green plates, however, this is probably a result of fitting 5-plates and uprated springs.... but then still not being as 'beefy' as the 4-plate with uprated springs.

When I first tried the thin greens I found that I had bad clutch slip, even though I had strong springs. I changed to Newfren thin corks, as Taffspeed used to sell, and cured the slip (NB: I've also had no issues from the older brown thin corks in the [Lambro] 5-plate Surflex kits... but note that they now come with the green plates). I asked this respected engine builder, at that time being spanner man for a scooter shop, about his experience of the Surflex green plates and his words were, "What, the ones that slip from new?" That confirmed to me that I was not the only person that had not had good experience of them.

Sorry to be saying this now, and I really do hope that Surflex have done something to the composition of the cork that they now use on these green plates. I like generally like/rate Surflex components but I avoid the green plates whenever possible.

Best of luck.

Adam

PS - Please note that this is not saying that they don't work, can't work, etc, etc, just that I've not gotten on with them in the past. Lord knows that they sell enough of these green plates (perhaps just because that is what people tend to stock) so perhaps they are not all bad (?).
dirtyhandslopez

Fully agree Adam.
Installed a set of green ones in a Cento once. They slipped...
That's not going anywhere...
sonicdave

I've had the green ones in my Readspeed 6 plate for 5 years,just started to slip and the outer plates are starting to disintegrate.
My scoot puts out 38hp and It gets thrashed!
Adam_Winstone

But on a plate for plate basis, just imagine how good your clutch could be with decent corks in?! I think the only reason why these function in most clutches is because they are in 5 or 6-plate assemblies with uprated springs. In a lesser assembly they just wouldn't cope. As such, it is the upgraded assembly that holds the power, rather than the corks.

As I tried to get over in my original comment, I'm not saying that they can't work... just that I was a little disappointed as they are heavily promoted.

Adam
celt

I have a 5 plate in my TS1 using surflex green plates. Once the engine gets warm and I give it some throttle the clutch slips :(

I have bought one of AF cassette clutches which I have yet to fit, I bloody hope this cures the slip. Engine is only producing 23bhp on Scooterotica dyno
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information