What is the best Auto advance for my set up

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I have been in contact with HHP in Germany and they are now developing an 8 curve-option and CDI combined into one box that will work with a traditional six pole stator.

The unit will also have a separate wire to drive a rev counter. Neat.
Martin
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Martin, I am going to invent a new word.
Was the performance better when tested by rideability or "dynobility"?
We had this discussion a couple of weeks ago. I love change; I embrace it and I am the first to buy anything that makes my ride better. I don't mind complicated either and given the right price or opportunity to test, then I most definitely would.
But that little ole Agusto for the money does what it says on the tin. I set it at 24 BTDC and watch it retard whilst strobing to where I want it to be at my optimum and most likely cruising speed under load etc.
But I am watching this space .......
Ride safe.
Chris
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Nice word Chris. I particularly liked the way you warned us that a new word was about to be delivered. Class.

There is no doubt that the acid test was the rideability, but we took all the clues from the dyno runs. On the road, the difference between the 7000 setting and 8000 setting was huge.

I agree that the Agusto is a great bit of kit, but I had a chat with Chalky about his Agusto boxes and although he was very modest about the Great Leap Forward that Agusto brought to the scooter scene, he did acknowledge that other solutions had overtaken the Agusto.

My point about contributing to this thread was to highlight that I would not have considered, and therefore it tried/purchased, an Agusto 8000. I now know that the 8000 is the best for my engine. Others using the Agusto maybe in exactly the same position.
Martin
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

"best for my engine", I guess that's how you define best.

What I mean by that is, 'best' performance throughout the range, 'best' power regardless of range, 'best' running temperature after 30 miles at 60mph, 'best' launch from the lights... but then quickly running cool at all other revs?

As Knowledge's experience showed, best dyno profile and best road riding can differ. My motor certainly produced better power with an Agusto 8K unit but my EGT showed a considerable rise in running temps compared to the 6K unit that I ended up settling on. This does illustrate why a multi-function option is a good choice, however, that still doesn't mean you'll make the right choice of curve and can spend forever and a day tinkering.

I really do rate variable ignition though :)

Adam
eden
Dealer

The kheper having 3 curves you can create your self means you can try infinite curve combinations rather than being stuck to one or just a few curves to choose from.
As Martin said, he wouldn't have known how much better his chosen curve would have been without the other curves his chosen system has..... I would add to that... if you have the option to programme a curve that suits your engine you get much better results.

The curve I use on my kheper doesn't resemble any of the fixed curve options on any system.

You can also swap between the 3 programmable curves while the engine is running which is usefull if you happen to find yourself with a bad fuel fill up or if say you find yourself sprinting etc just with a few clicks on your mobile phone ;)
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

6 penalty points now !
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

EddieStone wrote:I was under the impression these can only retard the timing? They can't advance the ignition ahead of being triggered by the flywheel sensor can they? I thought they just retarded the ignition as the revs increased.
Reedspeed CDI is the only box im aware of that advances the timing. I rate mine just for the fact that if it does fail, my timing is set at 16*.

One thing to note though, advance/retard timing will incur often dramatic jetting changes vs. fixed timing. Bare this in mind when fitting one!
coaster

olliewtf wrote:
EddieStone wrote:I was under the impression these can only retard the timing? They can't advance the ignition ahead of being triggered by the flywheel sensor can they? I thought they just retarded the ignition as the revs increased.
Reedspeed CDI is the only box im aware of that advances the timing. I rate mine just for the fact that if it does fail, my timing is set at 16*.

One thing to note though, advance/retard timing will incur often dramatic jetting changes vs. fixed timing. Bare this in mind when fitting one!
No system can make the spark occur before the point it is triggered (only a Time Lord could do that lol), as I said earlier, some sytems require them to be set at around 24 degrees static and the system DELAYS the spark to sy 16 degrees for easy kick starting and then advances to the static 24 degrees before retarding again as the revs rise until fully retarded at a given point in the rev range. That applies to the Reedspeed, M Tech, Kpehler and Martin's HHP unit.

Fascinating thread this 8-)
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

coaster wrote:
olliewtf wrote:

No system can make the spark occur before the point it is triggered (only a Time Lord could do that lol), as I said earlier, some sytems require them to be set at around 24 degrees static and the system DELAYS the spark to sy 16 degrees for easy kick starting and then advances to the static 24 degrees before retarding again as the revs rise until fully retarded at a given point in the rev range. That applies to the Reedspeed, M Tech, Kpehler and Martin's HHP unit.

Fascinating thread this 8-)
Hang on a darn second...

Dont tell me Ive had mine set up wrong for all this time??! I always understood that with the readspeed cdi you set the stator where you want it to return to... can someone please clarify cause right now im on the precipice of feeling stupendously... well.. stupid!!

:lol: :lol:

Seriously though - I feel I have bags of torque waiting to be unleashed now hahaha
coaster

olliewtf wrote:.................Seriously though - I feel I have bags of torque waiting to be unleashed now hahaha
I hope so or it'll be me looking stupid, hopefully an expert can confirm.....where's that Eden when you need him ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information