Kickstart problem not turning fly wheel

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Jaspvilla
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2 Li150

hi friends i need help! First time attempt using stickeys book, I have rebuild a series 1 Li150 engine, spanner on layshaft bolt turns everything correctly gears, flywheel and piston, all free and feels really good. When i fit the casing and use kickstart only the gears move (not the piston or flywheel) so cannot kick the engine over. when i stripped the clutch again and move the kickstart cog the clutch tree moves fine.... So what the hell have i missed out or done wrong?
GP240

when you put the kick-start/outer casing on the main engine casing it seems you are somehow depressing the clutch.
Which would be the same if you put it in gear and pushed it (still no piston travel).
sounds like the clutch cable has been over-adjusted or the clutch basket is sitting too high or the clutch arm (inside casing to clutch centre) is wrong way round.
Did you change any parts from original before rebuild?
Old Lambretta's never die, they get tuned..................
Weston-scooterist
Main scooter: Lambretta LI150 Special

Clutch cable too tight, I did the same after rebuilding and adjusted as per stickeys manual, panicked at first, then realised the school boy error, we've all been there
Jaspvilla
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2 Li150

Hi thanks for the comments, no i havent changed any parts except seals, bearing and gaskets. I have rechecked the clutch and took the cable off, now i cannot move the kickstart at all so guess something was wrong with the ckutch but now have another problem. Solve one thing create another seems to be how things have gone this evening.

Any other ideas, shoukd i restrip the gears, end plates etc and check them for wear or anything else?
joespeed

remove the clutch cable/nipple from the clutch arm and try again if still no joy remove the case side and have another look inside.
stokky

bottom chain tensioner not fitted quite right.

Will allow engine to turn over in one direction OK, but trap the chain going other way.

Just check when casing open.

anyways thats my guess
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information