MSC Micron?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Hi all,

Anyone able to remember back to the time that they were running an MSC Micron? More specifically, does anyone remember any issues with the mechanical muffler version running hot?

The reason for me asking is that I've just fitted one to my Avanti kitted motor, in an attempt to quieten it down a bit, but it has really pushed up running temps. The bike is now getting very hot, which it has not done with the other pipes that I've been running, with the plug going from dark to worryingly light grey! Unfortunately, I've not got an extra sensor to see what the EGT is doing but running temps certainly are much hotter. I also note that the mechanical muffler of the Micron gets REALLY hot when compared to typical absorption mufflers, which I guess might be down to the way the mechanical muffler routes/chambers the gases?

I've had similar issues when running pipes with small diameter tailpipes, causing a build up of temps, and wonder if this is a similar issue. If anyone does have experience of these pipes (mechanical muffler version) then I'd love to hear of your experience.

Cheers in advance.

Adam
wlightning

You need to speak to Dave Webster he no's about it
Jazzy

I ran one up untill last year, on ts1 200
never noticed any issues with the tail can being hotter than the sterling can i replaced the incredibly heavy mechanical muffler with.
did notice it was much louder after the change, which to me was a positive :twisted:
DMC

I ran one when they came out but we all changed them as they broke the back mounts and restricted the exhaust which could explain the heat issue your having. We put leo vinces on if that helps.
mnpes

Had a similar issue with a msc micron and another mechanical muffler ~ A suzuki rg250 endcan

Cut the can open
Removed the mechanical muffler internals
Replaced with a baffle tube ~ As fitted in the original DJ System ~ " Yamaha based exhaust"
Wadding optional

Welding required ~ ~ ~ :(

Running Temperature ~ OKAY ~ ONBOARD - EGT

Plus more responsive ;)

PS ~ Not sure about this setup goosing bobbin mounts

The msc micron endcan bracket fits to the lower rear shocker-mount ~ Not to the casing via a bobbin mount :?:
Last edited by mnpes on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Thanks for the responses. It seems as though mine may not be an isolated case.

Using the bike for work this morning has convinced me that it cannot stay as it is; getting too hot and is too restrictive. Whilst the bike is now lovely and quiet, I've lost lots of revs and lots of performance :(

Thanks for the info so far and appreciate any more experience that people can offer.

Adam
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

I myself ran one when they came out on a Webbo tuned yam ts1 225.It was when the BSAU 192/T2 thingy came out.I found it stifled the performance in comparison to the mk1 PM that it replaced and forever sheared bobbins on the rear of the pipe.I never could get it jetted correctly[maybe I should of got Dave to have done that].Not sure about running hot as it was some years ago.But it did set fire to my luggage going to a Skegness rally if that counts. :oops:
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Adam_Winstone wrote:Thanks for the responses. It seems as though mine may not be an isolated case.

Using the bike for work this morning has convinced me that it cannot stay as it is; getting too hot and is too restrictive. Whilst the bike is now lovely and quiet, I've lost lots of revs and lots of performance :(

Thanks for the info so far and appreciate any more experience that people can offer.

Adam

Might sound dumb here but have you re-jetted the carb for the diffrent exhaust? if its getting too hot and lost power from before then the jetting is wrong.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information