Gilera Runner

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
Treeman
Main scooter: GP 225 TS1

Hi,

There is a shortage of classic scooters to buy where I live, so I am looking at buying maybe a Gilera Runner. Don’t know a lot about them, apart from some scooter boys like them and they came in 2 and 4 stroke versions. It appears around here they were sold between 2001 and 2003 (looking at the availability of second hand ones). VXR 200 (also described as 180cc, 198cc and 200cc?) seem to be popular, but I have also noticed an SP advertised? Can someone give me the low down on what I am looking at, performance that could be expected etc.

Thanks in advance.

Treeman
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

I had an SP 125 about 10 years ago. Totally standard. From memory, I think it was 15 or 16 bhp, top speed over 70 on the speedo but, to be honest, I doubt it was too far off, certainly high 60s.

The SPs were all 2 stroke whereas the VXR was a 4 stroke (I'm almost certain). Think the FXR may have been 2 stroke too.

If you get the chance of an SP 180 for not too much cash, you won't regret it :bigsm: Oh, stock engine mounts aren't great from memory, they give a sensation that the wheels are out of line if you're cornering fast. Other than that, in my limited experience, can't think of anything bad to say about them.
shocky

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

I shall think about you in Hong Kong when im blatting your TS1 about these shores lol :D if I can leave the avanti alone of course..

Whitby in morning bro :twisted: you missing it :frog:
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Treeman
Main scooter: GP 225 TS1

Thanks for that. I had found that site but couldn’t find a rundown of the models?
Andy Pickering wrote:I shall think about you in Hong Kong when im blatting your TS1 about these shores lol :D if I can leave the avanti alone of course..

Whitby in morning bro :twisted: you missing it :frog:
In the middle of 6 days off, not quite the same without an east coast national to attend!

It’s warmed up here now, at the beach Wednesday; Thursday went on an open top bus doing the tourist bit round HK Island.....got 2 inches of rain in an hour! At least if I would of had been on the Lammy I would have had some protective clothing on! :lol:
iang
Main scooter: GP-auto / gts 250

Treeman wrote:Hi,

There is a shortage of classic scooters to buy where I live, so I am looking at buying maybe a Gilera Runner. Don’t know a lot about them, apart from some scooter boys like them and they came in 2 and 4 stroke versions. It appears around here they were sold between 2001 and 2003 (looking at the availability of second hand ones). VXR 200 (also described as 180cc, 198cc and 200cc?) seem to be popular, but I have also noticed an SP advertised? Can someone give me the low down on what I am looking at, performance that could be expected etc.

Thanks in advance.

Treeman
Yes vxr's were all 4 strokes ...sp and fxr were 2 strokes... if you can.... get a 180 sp or fxr the vxr's are ok but the 200 vxr was slower than the 180 2 stroke.The 125 2stroke was still really good and would pretty much keep up with the 200 ,only advantage you haven't got to mess about with 2 stroke oil...Had a fxr 180 for a couple of years and was a cracking scoot,good for 70-80 mph though did see 90 once on my speedo doubt if that was right !! In standard form you could nail it everywhere and it wouldn't let you down, well mine didn't !!..In the two years i had it the only thing that went wrong was the belt snapped but i had never changed it so it was probably my own fault..
goldeneye

had a very early 180 2 stroke, very fast(over 100mph showing on the speedo going to cleethorpes ,so 90-ish eh!) and very reliable, never let me down in two years of commuting (only went on one rally with it, and i felt a bit of a tw@7 parked next to the rest of the clubs lammys actually) sold it on and saw it at croft a couple of weeks back, still going strong (R-reg!) now got a VXR 180 4 stroke, and no where near as fast as the 2 stroke, hits a wall at 82mph, rev limiter fitted, but what you loose in speed, you gain in not having to stop for fuel, mine gets 175-ish miles to a tank at full chat, that means i did Brid and back on 1 tank of juice! and home from morcambe and four days commuting to work before filling up! twin disc brakes on the 4 stroke as well. great scooters.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information