Quattrinni

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
suedehead
Main scooter: vespa

Hi ,my wife has a quattrinni M1L on her vespa px125 fitted with a px 200 carb and jl3 exhaust,mazuchelli crank,carbon race clutch.When it was set up by a well known dealer it was dynoed at 15bph--steady for her to ride-not bunnyhopping until she got used to it---she used to ride a 1000cc buell motorcycle so wanted a racier engine---on the first outing as soon as i took the bike up to 70mph it seized--luckily the wife wasnt on it------the problem was the dealerhad fitted a faulty carb--carb was replaced and gillardinni lining smoothed back out on barrel and piston replaced---the scoot seemed ok--she rode it steady but sensed something wasnt right--the bike had a respray in this time--it was winter and snowing and i said at first chance of good weather id ride it--clutch was slipping and ready to jump at any opportunity--i took it to my local dealer as the original said it was past their warrantee date---neil at brolam found cluth plates in a mess due to the heat seize--replaced the plates and drained oil and got rid of any spare bits of metal in there.The bike rides a lot better---What i want to know is obviously the first time it was dynoed it wasnt right due to the carb so it will need re-doing---do i wait until the kit has some miles on it or is it ok to set it up properly on the dyno from now.The jets need sorting as in the bottom end it feels stuttery on quarter throttle but great when you wind it on--also if you lay off the throttle it jumps if you accelerate---Any advice is greatful-Mick
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Are you sure it is an M1L as this is a smallframe kit? Either way 15 hp is Malossi 166 territory so if is a Quattrini I would expect more.It will be ok to have dyno'd before putting any miles on it but the jumping sounds like the cruciform or selector box may be worn.A dyno should sort the jetting issues out.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

modern ally plated cylinders need very little run in time but upon assembly a check of clearance on piston and ring end gap is wise
if theres an issue with the set up then the longer u leave it before dialing it in on the dyno will mean therell be a greater risk of failure ,id say build it ,initial 15 min break in on dyno then a base line jetting set up slightly on the rich side ,at this stage a series of instructions on running in procedures and survival tips eg! not to add extra oil to the fuel
unless u can detect that its rich everywhere better sooner than seizer
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
Juan

The M1L fits smallframes so that'd be a PK

The M1X fits lardieds so that'll be a PX

Make up your mind then come back spouting this.
Juan

Of course it is possible it's a M1XL but then that's a reed direct induction for a lardie so why the f@@k would you be trying to use a downdraught on it?
suedehead

Indeed it is a m1x----ive rode it short distances-the dealer advised a small break in period--the reason for keeping it in a steady tune was that it wouldnt be too much for her and it could be tuned further later----he didnt seem to want to tune it further to start with--if my missus had her way it would be a beast straight from the off---we went with his advice-----ill get it on the dyno------get her out n about on it in its present state of tune-then she can further tune it later.
gadgetman

Just as a comparison I've got the M1XL reedvalve Quattrini 172 on a PX125 casing / RZ Mk1 righthand exhaust and 30mm BGM carb and after being set up and dynoed by Martin at Chiselspeed its in the mid 20s bhp achieved below 7,500rpm and 16 ft lbs torque ( All that on a 1963 GL frame giving the the same power to weight ratio as a 34 bhp Lambretta GP. which weigh 33 kg or about FIVE STONE more).
suedehead

Ta for the info/comparison---whats it ride like on the road and any problems with it---im sure she,ll upgrade in time when she gets it sorted out first---
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information