Original sh 22 dellorto flooding issue

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
retrorich
Main scooter: sx200 1966

Can anyone shed some light on this issue please.

Original delly sh 22 that floods. Not every time but often when fuel turned on next time the scooter is used or, has flooded when running and petrol pisses out. I only notice this latter issue when the scoot runs out of juice. I have assumed that the float needle is the culprit and changed this but it seems I have to do this regularly. The scooter stands in garage unused on occasion as I have other scooters I use. Prob covers about 2500 miles a year. So my question is:

How often should you change the float needle

Are jettex needles as good or is a dellorto needle best every time. The jettex one seems to be longer and works quite well but is there an issue with fuel starvation.

Any advise will be welcome. This is doing my head in.. Don't want to use jettex unless it is a last resort..
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Yep, I've known people run into fuel starvation issues with the longer needles. Whilst people suggest changing the original black tipped needles as they are not supposed to be very good with modern unleaded, I know lots of people that are still using them without issue.

Adam
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

If you use a longer Jetex needle in an original Dell'orto basically you'll run out of petrol.
retrorich
Main scooter: sx200 1966

OK guys thanks. So if it is the dellorto red tip then how often is it reasonably expected that the needles should last and be changed?
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I'm not sure if there is a definitive answer to that. The only thing I can suggest is that you inspect the tip of the needle with a magnifying glass and just look for any signs of wear. If there is a pronounced step on the tip that might be a good time to look for another.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information