SIP and BGM Clutches

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

I had loads of bother with a SIP clutch, it caused a terrible racket, couldn't put it in neutral and finally it would work. I changed it for a standard clutch and solved the problem. A friend has also had bother fitting a BGM clutch, grinding bit of the clutch cover etc. They say, 'plug and play,', I don't think so. What's the best way to fit these damn clutches?
gaz_powell

don't fit them - stick with genuine piaggio

ive ran a genuine cosa type for years - no issues with fitting, set up and has been bullet proof in a tuned p2
ArmandTanzarian

My experience was the opposite. Had two standard Cosa clutches which were a total nightmare while the SIP one is as light as a feather and is lovely.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
OzOAP
Main scooter: Vespa PTS1E

I always use early 7 spring type. Not for the limp wristed but never let me down.
ArmandTanzarian

OzOAP wrote:I always use early 7 spring type. Not for the limp wristed but never let me down.
I tried one of those too. It was so stiff that apart from being horrible to use, it crushed the brass plunger and it split in two.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

Same as Gaz , cosa in a tuned polini 210, no problems had one in my mallossi for years also.
I know they can be a bit hit and miss especially with clearance issues in the basket, but all easy to sort when on the bench.
I run BGM springs and normal newfren plates , all good.
gaz_powell

I used the 7 spring old type for years then switched to the genuine piaggio cosa type.

I must stress it was a genuine product back in the day when there were no issues with turret heights etc but I rebuilt a 7 spring one not so long ago for a L reg T5 (172) classic and that's proved to be very good.

like everything I think piaggio standards did (still ??) slip !
Muttley McLadd

ArmandTanzarian wrote: I tried one of those too. It was so stiff that apart from being horrible to use, it crushed the brass plunger and it split in two.
I've had this with a SIP Cosa one too. It also wrecked one of the SIP plungers with the bearings on. Currently running a PKXL one, which has been fine for a while now.
CakeAndArseParty
smiffy1968
Main scooter: Nevermind Mk1 T5

As Oz said, i run old 7 spring type. Banded with beast strong springs. Works your fingers in town but solid and works perfectly.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Im using the sip banded with there pressure plate and can't complain. Had too many Cosa 2 clutches explode and cause severe damage so for me there a no, no.

I know some need a spacer, which I avoided didn't see the point in having another place for a possible air leak or the chance of the rear wheel rubbing against the clutch cover.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information