Oil drain thread

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
stonerosesmod
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150S

A mates bought round his PX200 engine for me to give a once over internally and he said the gear oil drain plug threads are knackered.Whats the easiest fix here? Could i tap out to the next size or even M8 and use an appropriate fibre washer?
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

The thread is already M8, its just you need a M7 socket head to remove it. I would try and keep it M8, the next common size up is M10, not a lot of M9 suppliers out there unless you go imperial.
Shaunbond

You might be able to get away with an M8 helicoil. I'm not sure which pitch it is but no real difference in drill size.

http://www.thorintl.com/Drill-Sizes-Hel ... tric.shtml
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
stonerosesmod
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150S

Yes i think thats the way forward.Cheers lads
ducksta

Similar advice required my m8 has stripped the threads on a px200 its the hole in casing where you fastern the carb down any suggestions ime off to have a look tonight but was thinking would a collet be any good :?:
live life your a long time dead
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

ducksta wrote:Similar advice required my m8 has stripped the threads on a px200 its the hole in casing where you fastern the carb down any suggestions ime off to have a look tonight but was thinking would a collet be any good :?:
Im sure thats M7 so could be retapped to M8.
Shaunbond

ducksta wrote:Similar advice required my m8 has stripped the threads on a px200 its the hole in casing where you fastern the carb down any suggestions ime off to have a look tonight but was thinking would a collet be any good :?:
Same thing happened on my Cosa. I helicoiled that but I'm sure it was M7.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
ducksta

will re tap to m8
live life your a long time dead
gaz_powell

The carb bolt thread in the casing is 7mm - don't forget if you tap it to 8mm you will have to do something with the stud and sleeve bolt (early) or shouldered bolt (later)
Shuggie

Beedspeed do a stepped stud, 7mm on one end 8mm the other, just tapped casing to 8mm and it worked a treat! Think its soldas a lammy chaincase stud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information