Cosa clutch issues

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lambro

Not dragging, the oppisite :-/

As soon as clutch cover is tightened down, kickstart wont turn the engine unles plug is out.
Don't have a vernier on me.
Changed cover, plunger, plunger plate and oil drive cog and all the same.
New clutch, fettled from supplier.
I am used to them dragging but this is doing my head in,

Any ideas before I burn it and my mate doesn't get to Woolacombe?
goldeneye

clutch arm sticking in cover.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

There are two types of clutch arm, not sure if there is a reason, but the notch cut out on the arm seem to be of different lengths. Im assuming the clutch spacer washer is a tight fit against the bearing and the woodruff key is all ok.
lambro

goldeneye wrote:clutch arm sticking in cover.
No mate, 2 covers and both free and return with a nice flick of their own accord.
lambro

GLscoot wrote:There are two types of clutch arm, not sure if there is a reason, but the notch cut out on the arm seem to be of different lengths. Im assuming the clutch spacer washer is a tight fit against the bearing and the woodruff key is all ok.

Spacers tight against bearing and meshing with autolube ok, woodruff key and crank all good.
You are right about the 2 different length cutouts, but it is the same with both, and they are both 200 covers, I even powerfiled the ribs off one to see if that helps.
I don't have a vernier on hand to measure the depth of the turrets, I wondered if the dealer had made them too deep and thats why it slips :?:
GLscoot

Clutch corks these days seem to be twice as thick as they should, could this be a factor. Just really throwing this in as a suggestion.
goldeneye

I was shy-ing people away from Cosa clutches , because they can be a bit hit and miss to set up, and recommended the old 7 spring ones. but now there is a bad batch of the old style 7 spring ones kicking about, (ive had 3 that were impossible to set up, all from the same supplier) so I cant really recommend owt at the minute. the last 3 were in and out ten times (nearly) each, to fettle them to make them right. 20 minute job eh? after drive side oil seals, its the main job I get vespas in for. every one just needs fettling of late, or that's what it feels like.
GLscoot

goldeneye wrote:I was shy-ing people away from Cosa clutches , because they can be a bit hit and miss to set up, and recommended the old 7 spring ones. but now there is a bad batch of the old style 7 spring ones kicking about, (ive had 3 that were impossible to set up, all from the same supplier) so I cant really recommend owt at the minute. the last 3 were in and out ten times (nearly) each, to fettle them to make them right. 20 minute job eh? after drive side oil seals, its the main job I get vespas in for. every one just needs fettling of late, or that's what it feels like.
Would agree with all that and decided to bite the bullet and pay for the CNC machined SIP one, there are others out there cheaper and definatley better than the Cosa clutches. They also come with a thicker and stronger cir clip.
Muttley McLadd

goldeneye wrote:every one just needs fettling of late, or that's what it feels like.

Remind you of anything...? :D
CakeAndArseParty
lambro

goldeneye wrote:I was shy-ing people away from Cosa clutches , because they can be a bit hit and miss to set up, and recommended the old 7 spring ones. but now there is a bad batch of the old style 7 spring ones kicking about, (ive had 3 that were impossible to set up, all from the same supplier) so I cant really recommend owt at the minute. the last 3 were in and out ten times (nearly) each, to fettle them to make them right. 20 minute job eh? after drive side oil seals, its the main job I get vespas in for. every one just needs fettling of late, or that's what it feels like.

I have this and the previous one in and about 30 times now, what with changing bits here and there.
Just stripped an old spare P2 engine to pinch the 7 spring and the corks are fecked in that, so I have given up and decided its cider o'clock.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information