MKi T5 indi issue

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
IaninDorset
Main scooter: 1985 MKI Vespa T5

Hi folks,

Its not a serious problem but it does annoy and worried that one day it might get worse or fail, in that when I indicate, my fuel gauge goes like a windscreen wiper and several warning lights flick on and off in time to the indicator, I've checked the printed circuit, checked junctions behind horncast and wiring at spare wheel and all good, indicators and all lights are very good so not a problem per se but its dashed annoying...

Any one else got a remedy, also are there such things as replacement circuit boards for the speedo itself as the printed circuit is good but the plastic is beginning to flake a bit and was thinking of using clear film to "seal" it up again on the worst bits.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Have you undone the small nuts that hold the printed circuit on as corrosion gets underneath? I seem to remember that the circuit board gets some power from the grey wire that is also connected to the flasher unit so something may be amiss there.
IaninDorset

I will take a look as I got to change some backlights and the rev counter has started playing up I noticed today as well.
goldeneye

25 year old T5 speedo?.... that'll be fooked then. they didn't last very long from new. you've done well. the rev counter usually went first, then the rest. try to buy a new one, or put up with the foibles.
IaninDorset

Its a shame the LML ones are totally different function wise as they can be found quite easily new :)

For an early MKI it is in actually very good condition, apart from engine its all original and has a couple of rough edges here and there but in better condition than many P ranges half its age hehe

firekdp

First place I'd look for that problem would be the earth connection at the speedo plug.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information