Engine number queery

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
coaster

Hi, the PX200 I just bought was sold without its engine bus has a 125 engine fitted to enable it to be wheeled around. I want to get it running if possible but I've no idea what model it is or even if it's Italian, Spanish or Indian?? The number on the case is BA 172?? any ideas?

Cheers

Colin
sean brady scooters
Dealer

maybe a coincidence ,but BA 172 is british airways sleeper service according to a google search lol.
i havnt ever seen an engine number like that ,is it a t5 motor perhaps as the 172 could refer to a kitted mallosi ?
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
coaster

sean brady scooters wrote:maybe a coincidence ,but BA 172 is british airways sleeper service according to a google search lol.
i havnt ever seen an engine number like that ,is it a t5 motor perhaps as the 172 could refer to a kitted mallosi ?
I'd be happy if it was but I suspect not :( The number is stamped on a raised rectangular section partly obscured by the exhaust down pipe....I presume that's the right one?

Update, I just noticed it's piston ported, not crankcase induction.
goldeneye

is it not a VBA motor? earlyish 3 speed 150. not worth a wank. stick it on ebay, some cockney will buy it.
coaster

goldeneye wrote:is it not a VBA motor? earlyish 3 speed 150. not worth a wank. stick it on ebay, some cockney will buy it.
Could be right, I wouldn't have a clue.....might be in the market for a Px 125 engine, anything considered so long as it's cheap ;)
coaster

Here's a few pics of the scoot and the mystery engine, any thoughts gratefully received. I did try texting the guy that sold it to me via ebay and he said the engine was given to him years ago and had been lying around in his shed ever since...he has no idea what it was from.

Scooter as received, the damage is on the other side.

Cheers

Colin
goldeneye

yeah , its an early "8 inch wheel 150 (or 125) motor off a vba , or similar, three speed job . count the notches on the gear selector, if theres 4 , its a 3 speed (three gears and neutral), also theres a gap between the brake backplate and hub, looks to have a ten inch hub on an 8 inch backplate. someone will use it on a resto, get it sold and put the money towards a PX motor and kit it, cheapest option. nice mudguard by the way....................
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information