42L2 T5 conversion

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Arnie51

Hi all

The black bkt did this.

So Sip advised me to buy the silver bkt but this did not fit at all.

So my plan is now for them to return the black bkt to me and I will have to cut it down by 6mm to allow sideways movement because this bkt is the same size as the frame and doesn't allow me to move it within the frame for correct alignment if left as supplied. Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Andy
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Andy
You should still be able to shift the engine bracket across more to the right as you look at the picture, you can use washers in-between the bracket and frame on the left side bolt. If the bracket or frame does not allow you to move it grind a little of each to give you more room. Both ends of the shock have a rubber bush so it still has some play. Im pretty sure a PX is not perfect. My rear shock is not perfect and I have done around 6 of these conversions. Whats more important is the wheel alignment. What engine is that?
have you thought about moving the rear shock bracket, more to the left. Cut the threads of the bracket and move the bracket more to the left and then weld the threads back on, or drill a hole in the bracket and use bolts, but watch the shock doesn't hit the frame. Its very much trial and error on all these builds, is finding out which bit to move that will cause least amount of hassle.
Gary
Arnie51

Hi
The engine I'm trying to fit is a t5 so when I receive the black bkt back from sip I'll have to cut it down by 6mm or so because the bkt Is the same size as the frame, when all in ill post some pics
A new question ? Has anyone any pics of what to do with the carb without cutting the frame.

Cheers Andrew
GLscoot

You can i think take the carb top box off and it may fit, don't know. I built my own manifold so I didn't have to cut my frame and used a dellorto phbh carb or similar. This is the best picture i have at the moment of the conversion. PM
Vespa GS by GLscoot, on Flickr
GLscoot

Arnie51 wrote:Hi
The engine I'm trying to fit is a t5 so when I receive the black bkt back from sip I'll have to cut it down by 6mm or so because the bkt Is the same size as the frame, when all in ill post some pics
A new question ? Has anyone any pics of what to do with the carb without cutting the frame.

Cheers Andrew
Im not familiar with the 42L2 frame, but double check the bracket before cutting or grinding anything away and if you have to i would grind a little of the frame at both ends and the bracket at both ends.

gary
santacama

GLscoot wrote:You can i think take the carb top box off and it may fit, don't know. I built my own manifold so I didn't have to cut my frame and used a dellorto phbh carb or similar. This is the best picture i have at the moment of the conversion. PM
Vespa GS by GLscoot, on Flickr
Good looking scooter!!!!!
Arnie51

Hi all!

Finally got the engine in after some modifications to the bkt including shortening to allow wheel and shock alignment and fitting and fitting an eccentric washer and elongating the bkt to set tracking
as sip said its not plug and play lol

Thanks for all of your help with this

Andy

Belinni
Main scooter: 92L2

Hi,

I'm very interested to see your pics above, I am also considering the same conversion. Would be interested to know how you got on, did you fit 10" wheels or fit the back plates etc for the 8". Also what about the carb, did you get it to fit without cutting the frame?
Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information