PX Stalling

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Looking for confirmation with my new winter problem. PX stalls as soon as I select a gear, sits on idle all day long. Do I have an air leak in the casings or barrel, cylinder head. Or do you think it's the clutch. Did have this problem before and I think the clutch was the problem. I'm looking for confirmation on this before I start crawling around my freezing shed.
Gary
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

Sounds like clutch drag.
Yanker

bazman wrote:Sounds like clutch drag.
Yes, perhaps coupled with cush-drive failure.

Does it keep running if you give it some revs when you put it in gear?

Does it creep forward in gear with the clutch in?

Does it 'crash' into gear with a lurch then work OK?
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

I rev it like mad to change gear and it will move forward then slowly die. I'm more than positive its the clutch. To get it started after an hour or so I have to squirt fuel down the plug hole. Once it's running on idle its fine, but as soon as I put it into gear it stalls. The scooter has been sitting too long over the winter months. I'm not to bothered if its the clutch, I can fix that in an hour. Was more worried about the casing gasket or something similar. I will check the brass plunger and pressure plate first, if no problems there I will replace the corks, I have a set sitting in oil at the moment.
Gary
Yanker

GLscoot wrote:I rev it like mad to change gear and it will move forward then slowly die. I'm more than positive its the clutch. To get it started after an hour or so I have to squirt fuel down the plug hole. Once it's running on idle its fine, but as soon as I put it into gear it stalls. The scooter has been sitting too long over the winter months. I'm not to bothered if its the clutch, I can fix that in an hour. Was more worried about the casing gasket or something similar. I will check the brass plunger and pressure plate first, if no problems there I will replace the corks, I have a set sitting in oil at the moment.
Gary
Cosa style clutch?

If the piston rings were gummed up and to blame then you would have poor cold starting, easier warm starting. If a seal had failed then possibly after running gear oil has been drawn in to the crank chamber: fouling the plug and contaminating the mixture + the extra air?

Good luck.

Off to my sub-zero garage now....brrrr
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information