Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Hello Vespa peeps

I have a 150 engine on the bench which I would like to split. The problem is the long D bolt is stuck fast! What is the best way to get this out ? I've had heat on it, but with no joy.

Appreciate any tips/advice

Thank you.
gaz_powell

this one can be a problem - they corrode so badly unless greased.

as the engine is on the bench thoroughly clean the back of the casing around the d bolt and put some putty or similar over the head end (to stop the fluid you will put in coming out as it starts to penetrate) then prop the engine up level with the threaded end up and fill the casing around the stud with plus gas or diesel and leave it for as long as possible - it may drain out over a period.

with a little bit of luck it should shock out with a few choice blows

Once its out there may still be some built up of corroded material so clean the thing out - with a round file, then some wet and dry to make sure its back to the original diameter

replace the bolt with a decent quality plated one - I think they are sheridised (a gold/yellow colour) and finally copper slip it !

all sound easy but hopefully you`ll get there
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Cheers Gaz much obliged, it's still not shifting though unfortunately.
gaz_powell

I would cut it off flush centre pop it and drill it out on a pillar drill. It may start to move once you start drilling.
If you haven't got the gear seek engineering firm help.
Strip the casing in its entirety first.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information