Skegness Seize

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Shaunbond

Looking for any suggestions as why this has happened please...

On the way to Skegness from Preston my mates scooter seized, its an LML 150. The route we took was motorway to nearly Glossop, over snake pass, through Sheffield on to Worksop and Lincoln.The scooter performed really well all the way and surprised me with its performance over Snake Pass. Now for my thought, the seize happened 13 miles after filling up at Saxilby on the A57, unusually he was running a 9 plug but it was White and I mean WHITE... and the motor was locked solid! The engine hadn't been examined yet so not sure what I'll find but I doubt it will be pretty.

So the question is, the scooter ran well after previous fuel stops and was run fairly hard but it seems too coincidental that so soon after filling up from almost empty the engine seized. Bad fuel? What do you think?

Cheers
Shaun
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

White plug = running lean. Either an air leak or fuel starvation. I wonder if by running low on fuel some sh*t was picked up from the bottom of the tank, blocking the fuel flow, causing fuel starvation ?
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Mick 1 sounds plausible ............Not overly sure on the fuel issue, but I spoke to someone at the weekend who's in the know and he reckoned it is unlikely modern fuel would damage a two stroke engine and personally I have run 2 lammies and clocked up 15,000 miles in total using supermarket and normal stations an never had an issue in 7 years at all...
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

I would start with the reed petals, its not uncommon for one of them to shatter under load. What year is the LML, I had an early 2008 model and it was a great running scooter. I know since then the cranks were not up to much, yes the 5 port LML engine is supposed to be a fast engine, there version of the P2.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information