Cables and loom

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

Can someone point me in the right direction to a picture, or post a picture of which wires and cables come through which holes, engine side, on an old vespa (vnb/vbb etc.) Just putting a new loom in after painting and cant remember!
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

By next Monday, I will have sorted mine out for my Rally re-build, see earlier thread, but the location of wires and cables should be similar, so i will post you up some photos. But I got a lot of info from this site, so it may help you too if you scroll through the pictures

http://gallery.vespresso.nl/mr10/Rally200?page=12
djh66

paulnobodyimportant wrote:By next Monday, I will have sorted mine out for my Rally re-build, see earlier thread, but the location of wires and cables should be similar, so i will post you up some photos. But I got a lot of info from this site, so it may help you too if you scroll through the pictures

http://gallery.vespresso.nl/mr10/Rally200?page=12
Exactly what I need, cheers
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
steve c

you may need to use a electricians fish wire to get them through, you push the flexible wire / nylon through to where you want, its stiff so easy, then tape the part to the end and pull the new loom/ outer through slowly and gently
djh66

steve c wrote:you may need to use a electricians fish wire to get them through, you push the flexible wire / nylon through to where you want, its stiff so easy, then tape the part to the end and pull the new loom/ outer through slowly and gently
I've got the new loom in ok, the difficult bit will be getting the 3 rear brake/stop light wires through the small tube in the frame to the hole, I take it I will have to remove the sheath, cut the spade connectors off, pull them theough then re attach spade connectors?
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

You may be able to see them thru the hole with a torch and pull thru with a hooked piece of wire. I usually thread an inner cable thru the hole to under the tank area then duct tape to the loom and draw it thru when pulling the loom up to the headset. Same with the horn wires.The wires don't go thru the small tube, that's for the brake cable.
djh66

wack 63 wrote:You may be able to see them thru the hole with a torch and pull thru with a hooked piece of wire. I usually thread an inner cable thru the hole to under the tank area then duct tape to the loom and draw it thru when pulling the loom up to the headset. Same with the horn wires.The wires don't go thru the small tube, that's for the brake cable.
In my VBB the rear light wires go through a tube from under the tank to the hole in the frame about 12" long!
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

To keep your loom with the connections, cable tie them to the tube or just cut the connectors off and feed them through the tube.
djh66

The tube was too small to get the cables through, even if I took the loom sheath off. I've now done away with the tube so the loom runs freely to the rear light hole. I just need to tack the loom up to the inside of the rear frame, so they never dangle down on the rear wheel.
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

I've been struggling to know what holes to use for my cables and eventually found this from the Modern Vespa forum and thought it would be useful for you.

In respect of the rear light cable, mine (Rally) just pushes through a hole at the top of the frame and there is a clip on the topside of the rear wheel arch to hold the cable in place

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information