2003 PX125 Disc headset indicator warning light not flashing

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Pompeydave
Main scooter: 1970 GP125

Hi all,

Just finally activated my membership after a couple of years! First post, so be gentle please :D.

I bought a very cheap 2003 PX125 Disc the other day, and my Vespa knowledge is limited as I've always run Lammies. The headset indicator warning light isn't flashing. I've had the headset off and changed the bulb for the low beam warning light bulb as I know that one works, but when the indicators are tried again, still no joy. I'm already forgetting to turn the bloody things off- see, can't you just spot the institutionalised Lammie owner? :lol:

Any idea's anyone please?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Check under the nuts of the printed circuit as they corrode and use a multimeter to check the circuits from the wiring terminal to the bulbs. I think the grey wire in the speedo terminal block feeds the flasher bulb so check that as well( it comes from the flasher relay). If still no joy it's horn stem off to check the connectors there , the speedo feed loom can also chafe where it comes thru the frame.
Pompeydave

Ok, thanks wack, I'll have a look over the wekend and report back...
Pompeydave

Hi all, an update. I took the headset off and had a look at the ribbon cable and printed circuit that's attached to the back of the speedo. What's happened is that some numpty previous owner has taken the speedo out from the headset cover, but when putting it back in has forgotten to carefully pull both sides of the printed circuit through to avoid pinching it when refitting the top to the base. Basically, both sides of the circuit ribbon have been crimped when the headset has been put back onto the bike :evil: .

I also found that the bike has never been touched in 3000 miles from 2003, apart from the headset. All four headset threaded inserts had been overtightened, splitting the plastic surrounding them. And the offside mirror mounting had been overtightened thus stripping the thread :twisted: . I ended up helicoiling it myself to get the stem to fit properly, and I do now have mirrors.

To fix the indicator turn signal I had to tape the printed circuit ribbon almost back on itself to get it to make a connection, and it now does work. I added an indicator buzzer at the same time too, and was pleasantly surprised to find the wiring had already been provided by Piaggio, so that was an easy job 8-) .

I've refitted the broken headset top for now while I get a plastic chrome replacement resprayed in the original Vintage Green. Thanks for the advice wack63, it helped a great deal :D .
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Nice one. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information