QUATTRINI M1XL

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gadgetman

Camping in Catcliffe the biggest club based non national scooter rally in the UK is in Rotherham. South Yorkshire. The fuel pump can sit at any angle or even upside down it doesn't matter. Header tank available from any good scooter shop mine was from Chiselspeed at Leeds.
OzOAP
Main scooter: Vespa PTS1E

Pump/filter set-up on my TS. Since fitting filter is has smoothed out the bottom end as carb doesn't have to cope with pulsing from pump.

cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Finally got the frame back from the paint shop for the M1XL build - and managed to get a start on building it all back up.

I tried the engine in last night, so I could finally satisfy myself that it would all fit under the panels ok..... and it does.... easily. :D

The Curly exhaust has loads of clearance on the panel & the fit & finish of the pipe is quality..... really pleased with it.

Image150s M1XL 022 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image150s M1XL 023 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image150s M1XL 013 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image150s M1XL 003 by dent.graham, on Flickr

On the engine side.... everything fits under the panel without any issue - but the 30mm phbh carb doesn't have a lot of clearance on the frame..... at all.

Image150s M1XL 025 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image150s M1XL 010 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image150s M1XL 011 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image150s M1XL 001 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Think I'll have to explore other carb & inlet options - or look at cutting the frame and/or engine casing...
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Thats quality, the exhaust is something else. Im going to seriously look at one of them for my GS project, I know I will need to cut the side panel.
On the carb front, have you thought about cutting the manifold a little shorter and use a 90 degree throttle guide and to stop the spit back hitting the new paint work, build your own filter with wire mesh foam sandwich. If you know what I mean. Have you seen the Stage6 carburettors, will look brilliant with this colour scheme although not sure if they do a 30mm, I have a 24mm in my garage.
http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/1122/ ... arburettor
Gary
steeleyscoot

As soon as you start riding that scoot and go over a bump then the carb is going to hit the frame due to the suspension travel....
Fruitjuice

You could put a longer PX rear shock extension inbetween teh rear shock and the rubber mounting buffer at the top to create more clearance.
This might make the scoot a bit 'wobbly' on the stand or the stand might even become too short unless you add some washers inside the rubber stand boots to make up the difference... on the otherside, it will also create even more cornering clearance....
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
cartmel808

Fruitjuice wrote:You could put a longer PX rear shock extension inbetween teh rear shock and the rubber mounting buffer at the top to create more clearance.
This might make the scoot a bit 'wobbly' on the stand or the stand might even become too short unless you add some washers inside the rubber stand boots to make up the difference... on the otherside, it will also create even more cornering clearance....
Good point... but it already has the longer shock distance nut fitted - which isn't giving it nearly enough clearance... :(

I've ordered a pwk type carb - as I'm told they're narrower than the phbh - so I'm hoping that this, along with some slight shortening & re-angling to the inlet manifold will get me the clearance on the frame....
gadgetman

Have a look at the BGM 30mm powerjet carb its narrower than all the rest of the PWK types then you can fit a modified ProPorting filter.
cartmel808

gadgetman wrote:Have a look at the BGM 30mm powerjet carb its narrower than all the rest of the PWK types then you can fit a modified ProPorting filter.
I bought a 30mm PWK carb to try (though it's not a BGM one) - but it was sitting higher than the Delly & actually touching the frame... So I've put the Delly carb back on, and having messed around weighting-up the suspension & bouncing on it a bit, I reckon I might get away with it tbh... :?
goldeneye

you"ll need the number for Flavells engineering to weld up your exhaust when it splits . my stainless JL is on its third set of welding. great pipes, but the stainless ones split for fun. great looking scoot by the way, I hope you get the carb probs sorted so I can have that go you promised ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information