PX Engine into GS160 Frame

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I'm thinking about puting a tuned PX200 engine into my GS160.... if it's a straight forward transplant that is :?

Has anyone on here done this, & if so - is it a straight forward bolt in & go conversion - or will I encounter alignment issues, ect - that require a lot of fettling??

Obviously there will be a need for a 12v wiring loom & associated upgrades to the electricals - but with the PX having a different hub/wheel design to the GS, i'm unsure as to what affect (if any), this would have on the front to rear alignment with the standard GS front end retained?
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Yes, it will fit. Buzzsolomoto put a PX210 malossi into my Mark 2 160GS. And I have taken that engine out now and put in a spare rally 200 engine, again with no problem. As for the malossi, that's going into a Rally 200 that I'm getting round to building back up. And the original engine for this rally will stay on the shelf for a later re-union.
cartmel808

Nice one - that's what I was hoping for....

Cheers! :D
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Theres no need to remove the wiring loom either, bulbs, rear brake switch and horn.
Gary
cartmel808

GLscoot wrote:Theres no need to remove the wiring loom either, bulbs, rear brake switch and horn.
Gary
Even better!... :D
Fruitjuice

Just remember that the PX engine needs a PX wheel rim and not the GS-wheel rim or you will have alignment issues.
The offset on the GS-rim is specifically for the GS-rear hub and this is different from the offset on the PX rear hub.
Also the bolt for the rear shock is a 10mm at the engine for a late PX and 9mm for a GS, so also fit the PX rear shock or drill the GS shock bottom mount holes out to 10.5mm...
You might need a new choke and throttle cable too for a tuned engine.
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information