improving the rear brake on a indian gp 200 block

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
simon k

i have heard that the casting for the cam is off center? anyone have any tips for improving the rear brake so it's more than a brake light switch?
regards Simon
shocky

heres what i do ;i super glue some course emery about 50mm long to the rear hub were the shoes touches and slacken the adjuster right of then spin the hun and slowly tighten the adjuster , this removes the high spots normally more on one shoe than another ,you have to replace the emery a few time and the glue just comes of with a stanly knife .
NOTE i use an old knackered hub only couse i have one and cant be arsed to clean all the glue off and its a variation of the original hub skimming tool
some say what about when the shoes need replacing well you do it again or do 2 sets if you gatta replace the rears that often your braking to much on the rear ;)
some say space one side of the pivot with a 1 mm spacer or gring 1 mm from the other side its also worth checking your hub for trueness as well even new ones can need skimming
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

All of the above as Shocky says plus I fitted a 1mm washer under brake cam that when checked with verniers was almost spot on...and a must for all lammy owners is this..http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... ble#p29705

Really makes a difference, the key to it all is be patient and do bits at a time its worth the work, you really can get a decent back brake on a lambretta..I know I have..

Good Luck.
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
johnd
Main scooter: 1970 Dl125

On mine i use a SIL hub, Ferodo brake shoes and a threaded brake cable.
The rear brake should work then. I have had a lot of trouble over the years with this issue and i think its about fifty percent a cable problem and the other fifty percent mis match of shoes/hub.
Spares aren't made as well as they used to be IMHO.
I did have one casing with the off set cam problem but i have never come across another, so i hope its not that!
Good Luck.
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

The casting for the cam is off centre . . . . . I was really worried about that until I checked out my genuine 60's Italian castings . . guess what? They are exactly the same. The Idea of sticking emery to the rear hub is excellent.
shocky

I MUST POINT OUT IT IS AN IDEA COPIED FROM ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER SO APPOLS IF ITS YOU AND YOUR NOT GETTING THE CREDIT
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information