Running in a new 225 TS1 piston

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

This is a new piston to replace the one I blew a hole in during Euro lambretta rally, due to running too lean. http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37142

I'm OK with knowing how to run in a re-built engine, but what are the recommendations for new piston and rings. See below for a bit more info.

Anyway, stripped top end down, (barrel OK) cleaned out crankcase and put in new A TS1 piston from AF Rayspeed. Piston bore clearance and ring gap OK. This has a new TMX35 carb and I have put in stock carb settings from my original build and 2010 Dyno after I ran in this engine. So the carb settings are now

main jet as at the 2010 dyno - 340
I have changed the needle from the eurorally from a 56 needle P2 down to the 2010 dyno of 55P2
Idle was 22.5 on eurorally, but after my first run to work this morning, I feel that the 20 idle from the 2010 dyno may take out the spluttering up to almost 1/4 throttle.
Will do plug chops before going any further.

Thanks

Paul
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Running in is usually about taking the peaks of the hone / machining on the barrel and letting the rings bed in.

If you haven't re-honed the barrel then all you need to do is bed the rings in, treat it as a ring replacement and take it easy for the first 100 or so miles.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information