Super reliable long distance euro tourer

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ArmandTanzarian

The subject of Milan 2017 and the 70th anniversary of Lambretta has come up and got me thinking about riding there.

From my experience of long euro-trips on a Vespa (Italy, Spain, Croatia) I'd say that standard would be the most reliable but probably a little too slow and the Alps would be hard work. On the other hand, too much power and it all gets too highly strung and liable to go bang. Exotic kit is also less likely to be able to be repaired by the side of the road. Another consideration is fuel. A bike that guzzles fuel will cost a fortune, and struggle to get between petrol stations out in the sticks. Carrying loads of oil is a pain too.

If you were going to attempt a round trip of around 1800 miles on a Lambretta, avoiding motorways where practical, what spec engine would you use?
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Fux
Main scooter: li150 S2

ts1 lowerd ports, 30 carb, bgm pipe.

I did 1200 km`s last month in a weekend on that set up, didnt miss a beat.
jonzo172

"didnt miss a beat"... famous last words!

:D
shocky

I know 2 guys who rode to rimini over 10 years ago on sx 200.s with honda 205, s mild porting clubmans and 22mm carbs they had one failure and I cant remember if it was a broken cable or a broken bulb , someone spread the word befor they got there and mark and charlie were mobbed on there arrival both scoots are of a tastfull MOD style
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

Gt 200 kit. 30MM Delly, touring pipe. The exact set up I'm about to build ready for similar if not the same type of runs. Looking forward to having it on the road.cheers,Speedy.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Avanti 225 with a decent clubman and 30mm PHBH with filter. A 12L petrol tank would be a wise option
ArmandTanzarian

My worry about alloy kits is that while they are less likely to go wrong, if they do, they usually do it big. Even a big failure on a cast iron barrel can be recovered with a new piston and a quick rub with wet and dry. You can't replate nicasil in a lay by.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
shocky

I think fitting a cht or egt would be a wise optionas you never know what your next fuel fill up will bring
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

jet 200 or sx200 standard engine
C’est la vie
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

An engine that has never been opened and tampered with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information