shortening speedo cable

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dave wheeler

whats the procedure for shortening a speedo cable, does anyone know of anyone who provides this service if its at all complicated?
TS1-200

I assume you mean the inner, how much did you want to shorten it by
Keep on keepin on
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

Surely the OP means the outer cable as the inner has the flats on the end for the drive, you can't cut them off? As for the outer, I usually just get some snips and cut the required amount off, even done it with the inner in situ.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

You can shorten the inner and then hammer the flats back in
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

theres a tool available to square inner cables
a local guy here years ago did them when we all had extended forks lol

or make one m8 -> http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Proje ... cable.html
goldeneye

the best result ive had is cutting the brass ferrule off the top of the inner cable, as when you tighten the outer onto the speedo, it nips the brass ferrule , and causes it to rub, hence the "gieger counter" action of a lammy speedo. shorten the bottom outer cable 15mm, and cut the brass bit off the top, and I find you have a nice sweep on the speedo.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Beedspeed will make one up to whatever length you need.
Did you have to do that?
shocky

Most speedo cables are the same you might find one from a small frame vespa fits my gts has a habit or eating drives and cables its about 20 quid for a new gts one I happend to have a spare lammy one inner only and it fitted a treat cost £1.50 the worm drives worked out at 5 quid from vespa I got the part number and itit was the same as a gillera runner cost £1.70
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
gaz_powell

/\ /\ /\ /\ Nice find .......
TED CRUD

goldeneye wrote:the best result ive had is cutting the brass ferrule off the top of the inner cable, as when you tighten the outer onto the speedo, it nips the brass ferrule , and causes it to rub, hence the "gieger counter" action of a lammy speedo. shorten the bottom outer cable 15mm, and cut the brass bit off the top, and I find you have a nice sweep on the speedo.
Nice one GE
Smash Ya Pastie
Washington Posse s.c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBpNEjkuLY
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information