bgm new ac/dc reg and battery Q

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

HI just swaped my reg for the new bgm one what has a dc feed so i can charge a battery
do i need to put a inline fuse inbetween reg dc feed and live to the battery ? if so what size fuse ?
cheers i no nothing bout electric stuff !!
Craig H
Xbox live gamer tag: GI TROOPER
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Imola 186

I have the wassell conversion and I have a inline 10amp fuse from pos batt terminal if this helps
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

cheers mate i be of to halfords then !

p.s has any else got one of these bgm regs ? i thought it had something called a sence in it that keeps your power stable all the time ? but my lights still dim and flicker at tick over and it dosnt power my egt gauge unless i give it some revs
firekdp

rbgaz wrote:p.s has any else got one of these bgm regs ? i thought it had something called a sence in it that keeps your power stable all the time ?
With the way it is wired for a Lammy I can't see how that is physically possible. But as it is in the advertising blurb, it must do so. Perhaps one of the dealers or philipp on here can explain.
camel

well ive fitted one on my series 2 to power gadgets through a cigarette lighter...i was led to believe it would power a sat nav,it did but it was erratic,the electrical guys i work with suggested i fitted a capacitor(which apparantly works like a very small battery and stores fluctuating charge)which i did...it now powers my sat nav fine,but yesterday i tried to use an electrical pump to inflate a tyre which it failed to do.as for the lights there no better or worse with the bgm regulator...i didnt have a problem with this anyhow
mark

full dc is the only way to go sadly if you want to power anything and you get great lights .
my setup even powers a tyre pump
firekdp

camel wrote:well ive fitted one on my series 2 to power gadgets through a cigarette lighter...i was led to believe it would power a sat nav,it did but it was erratic,the electrical guys i work with suggested i fitted a capacitor(which apparantly works like a very small battery and stores fluctuating charge)which i did...it now powers my sat nav fine,but yesterday i tried to use an electrical pump to inflate a tyre which it failed to do.as for the lights there no better or worse with the bgm regulator...i didnt have a problem with this anyhow
It will be erratic because the output isn't true DC, just half wave rectified, the cap will help by partially filling in for the missing pulses. To use the pump you will have to fit a battery, but then you may as well go full DC and have bright lights irrespective of revs.
For all the hype around this "new" reg I can't see how it differs from any other auto scooter type, perhaps when someone explains the sense function and reference voltage source, using a lammy stator, it'll all become clear.
22/2

I have one of these and I do not believe it will do any where near what they claim to do, if I hadn't of bought it so long ago (at Builth) I would send it back.

Running an AF stator the DC supply is only about 4.5 V @ 6000 rpm, I don't think this will keep my battery topped up. The battery was fitted last week charged, took the scoot out Sunday and spent an hour with the lights on full, switched the scoot off and it has 11.8 V on the meter.

With the engine running (idle) there is 12.6 V off the battery, if I put all the lights on including rear brake LED it drops to 11.6 V but doesn't drop any more.

I have now bought the single phase regulator for the Wassell conversion (which I have not heard a bad word about) so if the BGM does not keep the battery charged that's the way I'll be going.

Rich
Craig H
Xbox live gamer tag: GI TROOPER
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Imola 186

BIG UP E.A.D.C.M
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

mark wrote:full dc is the only way to go sadly if you want to power anything and you get great lights .
my setup even powers a tyre pump
have to agree.
just had mine done as per knowledges great article on LCGB/in scootering and it works superbly.
I've also had a brilliant (literally) new LED rear light panel made up (not telling who as I am sworn to secrecy but it's better than BGMS!) and have the 'superbright' (?) headlamp unit with halogen lamp too.
DC acumen 134db horn is a joy and it powers satnav and my fuel & battery warning lamps also.
A great help when camping at Shipston as we'd forgotten the camping lantern so it was simply -key in: switch headlamp on and hey presto!
No engine running to wake up the happy campers either!

I can't wait until MOT time and he says ok: ''fire her up!''
Oh no I'll say: what do you think this is? the dark ages or summat?!' :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information