timing

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
joespeed

anyone set the timing with a strobe light? we all talk of setting the timing using the positive stop and mean difference method,anyone tried this?
regards
joe
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

i use positive stop to avoid taking head off...... its easy and arguably more accurate than a dial guage
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
joespeed

paul , does chalky use a timing light?
firekdp

On an electronic no matter what way you find TDC and measure degrees BTDC the only way to guarantee it is firing at that point is to use a strobe light as you cannot trust the pick up line and flywheel marks. Surely everyone uses one.
J1MS

I put my timing marks onto the mag housing using dead stop, and degree disc then check piston travel to timing mark. then when the engine is running check the timing with a strobe :geek: ...... Sad I know, but it gets me out of the house....
shocky

firekdp wrote:On an electronic no matter what way you find TDC and measure degrees BTDC the only way to guarantee it is firing at that point is to use a strobe light as you cannot trust the pick up line and flywheel marks. Surely everyone uses one.
agreed last one i did positive stope was 2 deg out with the strobe to much on a ts1 prob ok on a std 150
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

I set it using the positive stop method and check it with the strobe, as others have recommended on here.

It's quite interesting to see the firing point move relative to rpm :shock:
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

yeah, always check with a light.
I've found what works best on a lambretta are the cheap gunsons infra red in line ones.
redrev

Hi Joespeed
What sort of strobe light gun are you thinking of using :?:
joespeed

i have a 'mactools' light,this when used on the cars has a feature which enables you to set the timing at any required advance or retard but picks up on the tdc marks,i am curious as to what revs you run at 'byron' using the gunson gun?
as 'sideout' says there is quite a difference when the revs are adjusted,so depending on what revs are applied the timing will either be 'ok' or 'out' so is this accurate or not,i cant find any literature that gives an accurate measure for this,i would be pleased to hear of someone who is using this type of gun to set the lambretta timing and achieving good accurate results!!!
regards
joe
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information