RB22 After Germany

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
KCB

Hello,

This is what happened to my piston, whilst on a tour of Germany, when it lost a ring peg:

And this is where the ring peg ended up:

My question however is about the barrel.

When I took it apart it was worse than expected considering after a quick piston change at the side of the road it got me home, another 300 miles !!!

As you can see there is a very deep score, well gouge actually, in the barrel wall, also in the next picture you can see the nicasil lining has large patches missing:

The real question is:

Is this barrel reparable by boring and replating with a new Nicasil lining?

How much would this cost?

How much would a new piston be for the new size bore?

Will the total cost be more than a new RB22 barrel, £290 approx (unless anyone knows where they can get an RB barrel on its own for cheaper)?

So I guess rebore, replate and get a new piston OR buy a new barrel (I already have a new 70mm piston) ?

Cheers.
ArmandTanzarian

JB's had my Mugello bored and plated but I don't know how much it cost as it was all part of the big giant bill for tuning and general engine stuff.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

Rebore, extra porting (may as well have a little extra) 8-) , new piston (RaceTour), and ceramic plating should run around £550-700 from any good tuner depending on work carried out. You could simply buy a new cylinder / piston but then there's no improvement and you're back to Airsal's plating which isn't the best in the industry. Also, always inspect piston and piston ring end gap at first 1,000 miles as rings can wear quickly during running in.
carlos fandango

relinings about £140 plus welding up scores £20 ish A few places do it, like langcourts and pjme.
Russ
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
KCB

carlos fandango wrote:relinings about £140 plus welding up scores £20 ish A few places do it, like langcourts and pjme.
Russ

Just checked out the Langcourt website, they look like they know their stuff.

I have emailed them for a quote.

Cheers Russ.
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

Langcourt has a good reputation from what I've heard.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
TS1-200

Langcourts did my TS1 cylinder recently which had similar damage to yours after a gudgeon pin circlip came out, came back like new £150, + new racetour piston, total cost about £300.
Keep on keepin on
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I would be f***ing gutted if that happened to me,was it the kit piston? or is it a Racetour either way I would be on the phone complaining.Then again you would probably get the "never heard of that before" quote.What I tend to do is put a small chamfer on the ring gap where it touches the peg as it is supposed to stop the ring biting into the peg and pulling it out.Worth a try next time.
leigh

Was gonna ask what piston that is doesnt look like the asso one that comes with kit
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Pretty sure that's a Racetour- Gulp!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information