Throttle return

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Snails

My throttle is sticking. Just installed new engine and have changed from using a jetex to a phnh so have fitted a new outer and inner carbon lined throttle cable. I've cut it down to size - maybe a bit on the long size to be on the safe size (thinking I can always make it shorter if need be but I cant make it longer again) and the throttle sticks. The carb mechanism seems to work fine. If I pull the outter its got plenty of spring. I've tried fitting an extra spring but no difference. I've tried it when the cable is straight rather then bent to fit to carb mounting position and this does not make any difference. Same cable routing as previously.

So I think I know the cause, the cable is binding inside the outer, but Ive run out of ideas as how to fix it. I didnt grease the cable before installation as did not think necessary on carbon cables.
Snails

Anyone? I've shortened the throttle cable so the loop is not so long and also greased the cable - to no effect
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

http://scooterotica.co/forum/viewtopic. ... g+throttle
When you say its "sticking "do you mean it doesn't shut off when let it go.If its not self closing,there are lots of threads on this forum dealing with that.Try the above.
Snails

Thanks. That's very useful. I always thought it was a fail but I can see the point as to why you might not want it to.

The springs from SR look an interesting option if needed though,
Mag
Main scooter: Carbon GP TS1

Snails wrote:Thanks. That's very useful. I always thought it was a fail but I can see the point as to why you might not want it to.

The springs from SR look an interesting option if needed though,
got them fitted to both of mine, work great
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Turning right and you stick your arm out...
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Keep your hands on the handlebars making sure you use your lifesaver!
Snails

Its an interesting subject, I've never had an issue with the throttle closing when turning right, I'm usually slowing down anyway so would want the revs to be dropping. Always use life savers - probably too many as I always worry about some blind person ramming up the arse...lots of big hand signals....
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

when you cut the outer, was it a clean cut, is it burred or reduced and dragging on the inner?

I always used the teflon lined cable parts from Venhill, comes in all colours and its smooth as silk
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Snails wrote:Its an interesting subject, I've never had an issue with the throttle closing when turning right, I'm usually slowing down anyway so would want the revs to be dropping. Always use life savers - probably too many as I always worry about some blind person ramming up the arse...lots of big hand signals....
There are lots of hill's where I live,in fact I live almost at the top of one,if I had a self closing throttle and took my right hand off the throttle to signal right,I would come to a standstill before I reached the junction.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information